Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weird Day at Work... (ART Multiverb II)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Matt Till, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright, so I'm at work (campus library), and there is a computer tech guy who I've chatted with a couple times about bass/music in general. He pulls me into his office and shows me this ART Multiverb II. He says he wanted me to try it out and see if it worked, because he wants to sell it, but he hasn't played with it in years. What's weird is, he has talked about how he use to collect all this vintage bass gear (he said he had one of the very first Electric Upright Basses, and I think he might have mentioned a Fender VI bass...) But that leads me to believe he would have some contemporary gear around and he could try it out. I'd say he's just being nice and letting me jam with it (which is weird, we've talked to each other like twice), but I was his second choice, he knows a producer guy who said he'd do it, but blew it off for about three weeks.

Anyways, he's giving me a week to play with it. I plugged it in, it works, and to my surprise... it's not a reverb effect! It's a multieffects processor (Rack mount). Seems alright, but I can't play with it too much right now. The woman is complaining about my noiseyness. I told him I'd try to find out more info on it... maybe acquire a copy of the manual if it's around. I'm not finding much searching around on Google.

I've never heard of ART Effects... I did a search here and found it's not that great a brand, but he's got the original price tag (looks pretty old) and it cost him $700! But it cost that much at the local store, which usually rips people off. So, it's probably not worth that much... anyhoo, anybody know anything about this business?

2. yeah, i have an ART Nightbass SE, and that is one of the coolest pieces of gear i own...and they can be had for relatively cheap!

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't think that's what my guy at work wants to hear, since he's trying to sell it. Ha.

I checked Ebay, and they don't have anything on there. Without a manual, it's kind of confusing. And when I flipped through, there was one setting that looked like it was in some Asian lettering of some kind. It also has a midi controller of some kind, but Midi has me confused all around, so I don't know what to tell him about that. It mostly seems to be Flange/Echo/EQ and that's it, that I can figure out.

4. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    This summary from harmony central is, well, less than glowing -

Summary
    Manufacturer URL www.artproaudio.com
    Ease of Use 6 (4 responses)
    Sound Quality 5.8 (4 responses)
    Reliability 4.8 (4 responses)
    Overall Rating 5.3 (4 responses)

Someone paid $350 US used, another paid $200.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/ART/MultiVerb_II-1.html

I found fragment of info that may shed some light:

ART Multiverb II
    - 20 bits Multi digital FX processor.
    - Controlled via front panel or Midi .
    - Ability to combine four effects together.
    - Come with 100 preset, and user programmable.
    - Effect include: Pan, DDL, Reverbs, Gates, Flange...
    - 1U space rackmount.
    $200 used.

http://www.pierregander.com/mytexts/techinfo.txt

Most prices I came across suggest a range between $150 - $200 used.

I must admit there is very little information available about this product. The only way to get a manual really would be to ask someone who has one for a scan.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Right on. Yeah, I saw harmony centrals reviews... not so great. I tend to agree somewhat. I know very little of gating, so I couldn't play with that. But it's a bit of a noisy unit. I'll probably print off some harmony central stuff for him.

He said he's probably got the manual lying around somewhere.