Weird Designs? Show me.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Verticos, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Verticos

Verticos

Mar 29, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I just thought it would be neat to see odd basses that never got off the drawing board (or did, that would be even more interesting...) I am no luthier but i think it's safe to say that this bass will never be built: it is a fanned 7 (34-38") with 36 frets and a low F# string. I kinda like the headstock though...

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w303/Verticos/34-3836Frets.png

so let's see 'em!

2. Rudeboy

Rudeboy

Jun 10, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    i'll bite....

i made the fish two years ago out of a hunk of plywood that i found in my garage:

DSC00159.jpg
    Photo39-1.jpg

it plays and it doesn't sound to bad really, but the action is really high and it's not quite as easy on the fingers as my Washburn. Still, gets a lot of looks

then one day i had it at guitar center because i was trying to find a case that it would fit in and a guy convinced me to build him a bass. He wanted this:

DSCN0222LR-1.jpg
    DSCN0220LR.jpg

why would anyone want a bass that looked like a bulldog? I have no idea. But building basses is expensive and I'll take all the free experience i can get.

the bass itself is huge, but it's deceptively comfortable and not too heavy. The body is poplar and the rest is (obviously) various fender pieces.

oh well, kinda embarrassing to show, but i learned a lot
    i didn't really intend to build more than that fish, but i'm hooked now and saving up money for tonewoods

ICM likes this.
  3. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    haha those are awesome, i actually really like them both. how much did you sell the bulldog for?

4. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    Hey Rudeboy how much for a full body american bulldog bass??? :D

EDIT: I really lik the bulldog bass... I wouldn't play it but I would show it to all my friends!!! haha

5. Rudeboy

Rudeboy

Jun 10, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    lol,

i did it for free actually
    just looking for practice, and even that isn't cheap

but if someone else is footing the bill... :)

6. Rudeboy

Rudeboy

Jun 10, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    lol,

and actually, if someone else really wanted one, i would probably do it

but i have a bit more confidence now, so i can't say i'll be giving out anymore free work hours

7. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Wanna build me a free sixer, Rudeboy? You know, for experience?

And for what it's worth, any bass I try to design looks weird. That's the curse of having an artist's vision without the artist's hands.

8. Verticos

Verticos

Mar 29, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Rudeboy, those are awesome! I dig the bulldog! Nice pun too...

and then you show us a bass shaped like a fish... was that unintentional? :smug:

C'mon guys, lets see some more!:hyper: Rudeboy did exactly what I was looking for.

EDIT: Hey rudeboy, what makes you want a hyperbass, if you mind me asking? Michael Manring is not one of your listed influences, do you just like the bass or did you forget to list him? Just curious why you want such a wired bass. (I want one too; 4 detuners and a detunable bridge, that is soooooo awesome. way too expensive for me right now) There is one on the indianapolis craigslist.

Alright, back to the origional topic...

9. Rudeboy

Rudeboy

Jun 10, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    i'm saving up to start replacing the tuners on my washburn,
    the idea is to put a tremelo on the bottom and then replace the tuners one by one as i can get money.
    right now i've got a set of flatwounds with a 32g string for high string so i can play CGDA but also tune is down to do GDAE (i love playing with loose strings) but eventually (lol, after $800 that is) i'll be able to just hit the Xtenders and do it a lot easier.
    of course,
    4 Xtenders+ 4string trem = $1050
    on a bass that i payed $300 for. So i dunno how sane that is. But what can ya do rite?
    plus, hyperbasses have 3 octaves don't they?

but personally, i'm not much for Manring.
    i mean, you can't help but respect the guy, and i do like Monkey Buisiness Man, but i'm otherwise not much of a fan.

it's a good topic though, i hope others contribute
    im in college, so i'm all about throwing crazy **** together for cheap. only way to get practice without going broke!

10. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Rudeboy, those pictures win. I can't think of anything stranger than a bass bass.

11. Verticos

Verticos

Mar 29, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I wish Zon sold those bridges alone... I would buy one in a second...

The guy who is selling the hyperbass is in muncie, IN and he wants 6800:eek:

Cool bass though.

and it does have a 3 octave fingerboard.

12. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Owner/Builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Whole bunch, right here.

13. scothar

scothar

Sep 28, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    I could find some use for the two gun basses! I'd surely get more respect from some guitarists!

14. Verticos

Verticos

Mar 29, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I saw about 20 wishes and a bee in the bunch.

15. What kind of bass is this(and is it possible to get one)??
    [​IMG]

It's beautiful...Always liked fishes...
    :)

16. Verticos

Verticos

Mar 29, 2007
    Boston, MA
    looks headless to me. It is one of those plastic or whatever compound bodies i'm guessing

17. I think it's a custom Sandberg.

18. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Inactive

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
  19. Verticos

Verticos

Mar 29, 2007
    Boston, MA
    peaveyuser, that is an awesome bass! major bonus points for actually making it

20. not mine but...
    LighteningDragonW600.jpg
    PairofEaglesW600.jpg

both are from this guy's site
    AxesMe4P.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021