1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Weird eBay auction

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillMason, Aug 21, 2007.

1. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
  2. seems like this guy didnt bother take the bass apart to look for the serial number...weird indeed...

3. Probably somebody selling it that doesn't know anything about basses. You'd think it would have a number on the neck plate. Looks like it's got some kind of blue sparkley finish on it too.

4. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Yeah the listing said it had a custom paint job by a "pro luthier."

Does the headstock look kinda strange? Not the back where they changed the tuners, but the front?

5. in the 70s they still sprayed the headstocks with nitro, might just be the natural aging of that??

6. Looks like it's been sanded. In fact, it looks like the whole headstock/neck has been sanded. Betcha it's a fake!

7. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I agree - the finish under the decal looks quite a bit darker than the surrounding wood, aside from where it's all scratched up.

I thought >$300 might be a good deal, but who's to say what else has been misrepresented.

Pity the fool!

8. Looks real to me. Although it has been poorly taken care off. I could be wrong though

9. WDfusion

WDfusion

Feb 8, 2007
    well for a start, you dont spell bass with one 's'...
    (headstock)

10. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Hah!! I missed that! :D

11. its been sanded off

12. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Or reliced. Come to think of it, what's the difference? ;^)

<duck and cover>

13. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    FWIW, the lettering on the headstock decal indicates it's post-CBS.

14. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The seller says it's late 60's to early 70's. That's post-CBS.

15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, the auction looks honest to me- I don't see anything to indicate he's misrepresenting any part of it. Sure, there's no proof that either the neck or body are actually from the 60's or 70's, but there are loads of old beat-up bodies and necks laying around from that time period, with which to build a parts bass, which is how he's describing it. Yeah the headstock sanding is crappy, but who's to say some dummy didn't start sanding the headstock of their beater 70's P, and then pawn it or whatever, landing eventually in the hands of a "pro luthier"?