1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weird electronic feedback issue -- what's going on and how do I fix it?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Swimming Bird, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I've given up on having the one board that does it all, so I'm going to completely rearrange it to suit the gig. Right now my board goes like so:

Bass >> OC-2 >>
    DOD FX92 effect out>> Copilot Orbit >> SA BEF Pro >> A/B-Y
    DOD FX92 clean out >> A/B-Y
    A/B-Y >> LS-2 [EHX DMM in loop] >> amp

Everything gets power off a voodoo pp2+; the A/B-Y is passive and from Morley; the FX92 is the old version of the Bass Grunge (which rocks).

The issue is that in this setup I get an oscillation/feedback tone when Y is selected and either the Orbit, the FX92, or both are on. Switching the clean and dirt outs of the FX92 eliminates this, but does not result in the desired signal chain. Ideally, I want to be able to switch between clean/OC-2, OC-2 + dirt & filters, and a blend.

So, what's causing the feedback? How else can I arrange this board to give me what I want (the option of clean, clean/dirty blend, or just dirty)?

Oh, and before anyone mentions it, the DMM's clean and echo outs appear to have opposite polarities -- when I used the A/B-Y with those outputs, I got lower volume with both on.

2. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    We won't know until you do some more investigating. Substitute something else for either the Orbit or the FX92 and see if that fixes it. You can quickly isolate the problem pedal this way.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Feedback is a common problem with passive mixers. There is nothing wrong with any of your pedals--you are just using the wrong tool for the job. Get an active mixer like the Boss LS-2 or [sfx] Mix.