Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weird email ... wondering what to do ...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by misterk73, Jan 11, 2004.

1. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I got this email submission -- see below -- through my band's Website today and it struck me as being a little weird. Basically, I'm not sure how or whether to respond to all of her questions, and I'm suddenly wondering if I ought to be concerned about things like formally copyrighting my band's name and music. Regardless, something about the email caused little, tiny alarms to go off in my head, and I'm not sure why.

Does this email seem unusual or am I overreacting somehow? Should I just ask her what her intentions are before addressing her questions? And how does copyrighting music, names, etc. work, anyway?

Thanks in advance for your input and insights!

"Name: XXXXXXX
    Email: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    eList: Subscribe
    Subject: Other
    Comments: hello there.. i would like to ask you a few questions.. if you would please email me and aswer them i would be ever so grateful..
    1. where did you get your band name?
    2. have you "shared the stage" with any signed, popular bands?
    3. do you want a chance at your band being signed?
    4. is there any other band with your name?
    5. is your name copyrighted?"

2. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    No opinion on what to do about your wierd email, but I did want to say that I really liked "4am". Nice little groove.

Peace,

James

on second thought, wrt the email....Maybe you should try to talk to her live over the phone and find out what (if any) credentials she's sportin'. Worst thing that can happen is she's a psycho loser that you can simply walk away from.

3. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Thanks, James. I appreciate that kind of feedback! (And any other kind, really...)

4. As far as I know if you have an album with a band name and another band takes that name and releases an album with it you can sue them to change their name. As far as I know you don't have to formally copyright it. Just like works of literature, AND compositions of music, the band name is your intellectual property and as soon as it is making money for you the name is protected.

5. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Good to know! Thanks!

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It looks like a hook from some kind of agent. My guess would be that somewhere along the way is a point where your band has to fork up a sum of cash for the agent.

As a webmaster, I get occasional emails like this asking if I want to sign up to schemes that will 'increase my traffic'. Seeing as it's spam, with the sender giving no trustworthy credentials, it falls straight into my 'delete with extreme prejudice' category and doesn't even touch the sides on the way down to the great electron recycling plant....

Wulf

7. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hmmm...an agent. Could be, although I'm not sure if this falls into the spam category exactly. The woman who wrote that email had to find our contact us page on the Website, type that info and questions in, and then actually submit a form to reach me. The lack of credentials is definitely part of what struck me as being so odd about the message, thoguh, so maybe I should just ignore it and move on...Thanks, Wulf.

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i would either just delete and ignore it, OR simply ask - who exactly are you and why are you asking me this.

it totally sounds like a sales pitch though. lots of people looking to drum up business go searching for band websites and it's not odd for them to go through the form filling process. it works in their favor because it tends to make people think they have a "special" interest in the particular band they're emailing.

9. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Code:
     [size=5]

D
      E
    DELETE
      E
      T
      E
    [/size]

:spit: