Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weird Farout Pickups/Preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Angus, Nov 22, 2000.

1. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey,

So lately, ive found the pickups in my Tune to be kind of dry, and uncolored, basically. Yes, good for things like Jazz, but i like pickups that add a little color, a la Bartolinis. But i want something completely different and uncommon.

I was thinking about getting Lane Poors (soapbars, that is), but they arent really "weird, uncommon" pickups. I just want something that isnt so common (but still sounds good!). Anyone got any cool suggestions? Im open for pretty much anything here! Thanks!

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You could always contact Lindy Fralin and have him custom make you pickups. I have been considering doing this, myself, but I went a different route with a bass. You tell him the sound you want, and he can probably make it happen if you can explain to him what you are looking for.

http://www.fralinpickups.com/

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, there's Alembic. You don't see those everyday, except on Alembics. The Rio Grande Powerbucker is kind of different as well. If your pickups are the same size as guitar humbuckers (like EMG-HB's), the Rio Grande Pitbull is really different. Depends on if you're looking for something kind of kooky, like the Pitbull, or something high-tech like the Alembic.

Also, check out Aero Instrument. You can get Elrick-style pups from them (they make Elrick's stuff) and some other weird/cool stuff. Aero also makes Fodera's pickups, which you may be able to get from Fodera (can't get 'em from Aero).

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Hey Mega! Have you made up your mind? Ya got me in suspenders here, man! :D Just wondered if any of our advice was helpful, or if you were looking for something even weirder. Have you seen those diamond-shaped pickups on Turners? :eek: Now THOSE are different.

Anyway, let us know what happens. I'd like to know what you get, and what it's like.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Man, I dont know yet! Its hard to decide! I wish more people would reply to this!