weird fender 5 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by truckin88, Mar 7, 2005.

1. truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
  2. that's a US Jazz deluxe5.
    Jazz body, jazz p/ups- it's a Jazz.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Man, the Swami got that one wrong!
  4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Yup, sure looks like a J to me... but I'm in love with that Pedulla OMG!
  5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

That ain't no P Bass!! Nice bass though! I dig those string trees.
  6. That's strange that they're calling it a 2002, when (unless I'm mistaken, and I probably am) Fender didn't start doing the 4+1 headstocks on their five strings until 2004. The US Deluxe P-bass five did have a 4+1, now that I think of it, but the Jazzes were still inline 5.
  7. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I think you are correct sir, That was one thing that turned me off 5 string fender jazzes. the RB5 was the only exception at the time. Now my 2004 FMT V has the 4+1 headstock design.
  8. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I seem to remember these being called P-Basses even though everything about them was a J. I sold a Squire 5'er that was exactly like this (5 on a side though) and it was a P-bass not a J. I do not know what the difference was, but I just figured they knew.
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The body style indicates it's a J Bass. Squier does have a P Bass Special 5 string that has jazz pups on it but the body style is a P style. I don't think any J style body bass has ever been called a P Bass. Here is the Squier.

I don't ever recall it having 5 on a side tuners. If you sold an instrument that had 5 on a side, it was a Jazz.
  10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    It's a Jazz Bass deluxe... look and read the head stock "JAZZ BASS"
  11. So is there any possibility that this might be a custom shop bass? I would think that there would be a lot of people that don't like the inline 5 headstock, and Fender does have a separate custom shop that does less "custom" customs (different colors on American series, different pickups, etc.).
  12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    No, that's a newer USA Deluxe Jazz V.
  13. Definitely.
  14. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    I'll third that, and also add my question as to whether or not that's actually a 2004 model. I don't recall the 2002's having the 4+1, either.

That said, I'm looking to augment my 1992 Jazz Plus V with a new Am. Deluxe, but Fender quality has gone down the tubes. I think I'll be building one out of Warmoth parts. Recently, after searching all the stores I could easily get to in the PHL area, I finally came across an Am. Deluxe J5 at the SamsAss in Franklin Mills. The finish looks like it was done by a monkey with a defective spray gun! Don't even let me get started on the wood quality!