Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

weird fender 5 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by truckin88, Mar 7, 2005.

1. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
  2. that's a US Jazz deluxe5.
    Jazz body, jazz p/ups- it's a Jazz.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Man, the Swami got that one wrong!

4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Yup, sure looks like a J to me... but I'm in love with that Pedulla OMG!

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

That ain't no P Bass!! Nice bass though! I dig those string trees.

6. That's strange that they're calling it a 2002, when (unless I'm mistaken, and I probably am) Fender didn't start doing the 4+1 headstocks on their five strings until 2004. The US Deluxe P-bass five did have a 4+1, now that I think of it, but the Jazzes were still inline 5.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I think you are correct sir, That was one thing that turned me off 5 string fender jazzes. the RB5 was the only exception at the time. Now my 2004 FMT V has the 4+1 headstock design.

8. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I seem to remember these being called P-Basses even though everything about them was a J. I sold a Squire 5'er that was exactly like this (5 on a side though) and it was a P-bass not a J. I do not know what the difference was, but I just figured they knew.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The body style indicates it's a J Bass. Squier does have a P Bass Special 5 string that has jazz pups on it but the body style is a P style. I don't think any J style body bass has ever been called a P Bass. Here is the Squier.

[​IMG]

I don't ever recall it having 5 on a side tuners. If you sold an instrument that had 5 on a side, it was a Jazz.

10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    It's a Jazz Bass deluxe... look and read the head stock "JAZZ BASS"

11. So is there any possibility that this might be a custom shop bass? I would think that there would be a lot of people that don't like the inline 5 headstock, and Fender does have a separate custom shop that does less "custom" customs (different colors on American series, different pickups, etc.).

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    No, that's a newer USA Deluxe Jazz V.

13. Definitely.

14. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I'll third that, and also add my question as to whether or not that's actually a 2004 model. I don't recall the 2002's having the 4+1, either.

That said, I'm looking to augment my 1992 Jazz Plus V with a new Am. Deluxe, but Fender quality has gone down the tubes. I think I'll be building one out of Warmoth parts. Recently, after searching all the stores I could easily get to in the PHL area, I finally came across an Am. Deluxe J5 at the SamsAss in Franklin Mills. The finish looks like it was done by a monkey with a defective spray gun! Don't even let me get started on the wood quality!