Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

weird fender bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mingustoo, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Anyone know what this freaky fender is? It looks like a cross between a Parker Fly and a Fender Jazz. That is, the horns are all pointy and the headstock is triangular. It says Fender on the headstock and is about twenty years old. Sorry, don't have a pic. A link to a gallery of all fender bass styles would be appreciated for my 'Favorites' folder too if you have it.
    thanks

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Fender Performer

kinda failed Hair Metal axes. I think one was on eBay recently

3. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    This is my old one...

[​IMG]

Cool bass!

4. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Oh yeah I remember those, there was also a guitar version.

5. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    these were called the Katana series...

6. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    I love the Performer.

7. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    Not exactly. Performers and Katanas were different instruments.

The Katana guitars and basses were more of an asymmetrical Flying V shape that came out at the same time.

The Katanas (and Performers) were pretty high quality instruments that came out just when Fender was reinventing itself, and had no US manufacturing. So these were all made in Japan.

The Performers were especially nice; I owned a couple of the basses, and the guitar. The Katana was simply "keeping up with the Joneses" with pointy guitars.

There was also an economy version of the Katana, a Squier version, made in Korea, I think.

8. I read somewhere that when Fender made those they were hoping to come out with the bass of the future. Is this true?? Too bad the Bongo is the bass of the future. :smug: