Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

weird Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by olps, Jul 20, 2002.

1. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    I was in a used guitar store today, and came across an odd bass. It had the neck (and headstock) of either a P, or J bass. Yet the body looked like a telecaster style 50's P bass body, only with a J or P style pickguard. It had two knobs like the old 50's fenders, but it also had a hole for where a third knob must have been. Lastly, there was no metal plate around the knobs. It had only one pick up, just like the 50's telocaster style P basses. Can anyone tell me what kind of bass this was? I'm really baffled. Thanks.

2. Yeah, that is wierd. I've never seen any Fender like that. Did you get the chance to play it? How did it sound?

3. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    No, I didn't get a chance to try it; but I will go back there again.

4. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Could this be a Fender Musicmaster bass?

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    buy that bass, do a photo, post the photo here and you'll have an answer. i read your description and didn't understand. what about the puckguard? P or J?

6. just don't play your bass at the rink and you'll be fine......

7. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    The bass looked like a 1st generation Fender Musicmaster bass, but with J bass pick guard I beleive. Also, knobs, and bridge might have been different than a musicmasters.

Does anyone know what Fender Musicmaster's are worth? Just a Ballpark figure. Thanks.

8. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Mustangs were short-scale Fenders that has a metal control plate... cool little axes. As far as their worth, I guess whatever someone will pay for them, or what a person is asking??? I would not part with my Musicmaster!

-robert

9. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    I'm just looking for a ballpark price. I believe the one I saw was in fair to good condition.

10. Basso Profoundo

Basso Profoundo Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    Musicmaster's usually go in the $300.00 to $450.00 range.

11. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    How's there tone, quality, and overall construction? Thanks in advance.

12. Basso Profoundo

Basso Profoundo Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    Musicmasters were considered to be student basses, 30" scale. I had a bad one years ago with no sustain whatsoever, that is all I relly know about them. The mustangs seem to be a better bass.

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IF it really is a Fender, there's a slim chance it could be one of the few prototypes that escaped destruction. Fender made loads of prototypes.

In the mid 70's, they even came up with a Fender headless bass. Somehow, it survives. Although it doesn't look much like a Fender, here's a pic of it -

[​IMG]

14. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    My second bass was a '78 Musicmaster, and while it definitely was a 'student' quality bass, the fit and finish was still better than many of the beginner basses that I see today... I don't doubt that there were lemons, I just have not encountered them. This was before Fender entered their rough, early eighties period... That bass was stolen, but I recently acquired another great '78.

Initially, the tone seemed more choked than I remembered, (the pickup is a single coil Strat pickup), but after bypassing the electronics and going straight to the output jack, the bass really came alive. The pickup sounds quite alive and deep. There's some single-coil hum that was tamed with shielding. Construction's very solid, the bass is very light and easy on the shoulder. I bought this with no intention of gigging it, but it has moved into number two position and sees playing time every weekend.

[​IMG]

-robert