Weird, freaky old Multi-FX...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 343 Salty Beans, Feb 2, 2006.

1. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    So I have a friend that found this at a yard sale for 10 bucks. But it was broken, so he just gave it to me....

ZOOM BFX-708 Bass FX processor. The one I have has a super-finicky output (I've tried to fix it, but the output jack is encased in plastic and I'm afraid I'll break it and have to solder in a new one...cuz I'm a lazy *****), and the 9v power receiver deal doesn't work as far as I can tell...I haven't tried reversing the polarity yet, though.

It's cheap, built out of grey plastic with orange text and knobbies...I've fondly dubbed it the Tonka :p

But seriously, this has some of the weirdest presets and effects I've ever heard on it.

1. The chorus on this thing, if set right, is actually pretty rad. it really reminds me of a guitar chorus, something high and spacey, but it can be brittle too. I love it, if only because it's new to me.

2. There's one called a 'step' that sounds like something you'd hear at a discotheque. It keeps the root note, but randomly plays steps around it one octave's very techno, but fun to hear.

3. Another preset called 'time' plays the normal note with some delay, reverb, and I think some odd (and kinda crappy) octave effect...until you mute it. Then it does this NUTS slide deal...I can't even describe's like listening to a flanger octaved, chorused, overdriven, and delayed like a million times, sweeping up at a gradually increasing rate...SO weird. I might eventually post sound clips because it is so much FUN to screw around with this thing.

4. A bunch of drum presets to practice along with, including a few nifty 5/4 and 3/4 and 6/8s which I have fun with.

5. I can't even figure out how to program it yet...even just switching the patches is a pain in the but. But I'm having a fun time trying to decipher this thing...

6. It really cranks the bass and sucks the rest...I have to set my treble and mids WAY higher than normal.

It's got a lot of other stuff, but nothing really fancy. The flange and phase are decent if you get em right...I find it odd that the trem, flange, and phase speeds are controlled by the expression pedal though. It's just an odd feeling, but it saves the experimental side of me from having to bend down and twist it...and I can get the sweep speed in tempo with the drums if I'm careful enough.

I'm just kinda having fun and figured I'd let you know :hyper:

cheesy, plastic pedalboard, but gnarly stuff. Never going to leave my house, though.

Anyone else have fun with this thing?
  2. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    I have a Zoom 234 drum machine and 3030 guitar effects that had loose output jacks.

I soldered them both, now its sturdy. Its really easy to open them up.
  3. i had the 708...i really loved it, until one day i got mad and threw it...thats another story though...
    but i really loved the effects, especially the ring mod, the synth1, and that step effect, which zoom calls its own, but ZVex makes the same thing...

that time effect IIRC is just an octave with the feedback set up really high...i night bass has the same effect...its actually pretty easy to make :)
    its cool though!
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Friend gave one to me, I used it as a doorstop.