Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weird fretboard.. (pic)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Aug 16, 2003.

1. The caption says "Madagascar Rosewood". Can anyone tell me how this is any different than regular Rosewood?

Looks nice, though.

[​IMG]

Thanks.

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    it's Madagascar Rosewood- usually much more figured and flashy- but kind of the same tonal qualities-
    This MTD 635 i owned for a while had it- i actually sent the woods to Mike T and he made it for me- overall , one of the finest if not THE finest MTD i have ever played, but alas, no more 6 or me...
    [​IMG]

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Pau Ferro.

What makes Madagascar rosewood different is that Lemurs crawled on it instead of chimps.;)

Man, that pickguard on that maple top is almost criminal...

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I agreee. I suggest you buy a clear pickguard.

5. i always did prefer lemurs over chimps. especially ring tailed lemurs.

6. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    This is my bass... I had the pickguard changed to a tortoise one.

[​IMG]

7. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Here is a closeup of the fingerboard:

[​IMG]

8. Good to know, thanks. I'd rather get a madagascar rosewood then, better lookin' ;)

9. I'll back up your opinion...it has more life to it

10. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Lemurs instead of chimps :)

I don't think there is a regular rosewood. Brazilian was the old fave followed by Indian rosewood which is apparently softer and not as bright.

There are many "true" rosewoods and their latin name will start with Dalbergia. Cocobolo is a true rosewood.

Also naming in the wood world is pretty loose, often different species will be sold under the same blanket name or names will be "upgraded" to help sales.

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    another pic of the madagascar fretboard- why did i sell this bass? don't ask,, i don''t know- stupidity is all i can think of-
    [​IMG]

12. Stupidity indeed :D

Maybe you had to sell it in order to get a better bass..or the feel was wrong..the sound didnt fit the music your band played..any ring a bell?

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    actually, i know why i did it. I sold it because 6 strings were not as friendly to my hands as 5 strings are- so for a while i had three 6 strings and now i have ONE 5string, but what a 5 string!!- my needs are covered- so i took the money from the other bases and invested in my business- which is... basses!:D
    heres the one that managed a permanent place in my home..
    [​IMG]

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Holy crap, even the knobs are spalted!

Nice piece, Adrian. F basses are really cool. I tried one once and thought the headstock was kind of weirdly designed...

15. off topic

Adrian, are all of your strings tapered? If so,is there any reason for this or do those just happen to be the strings you like?

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i have found that the Labella super steps that come with every F bass are the best strings for them- so after trying a few other sets , i came back to the factory string- yes, they are all tapered. im my very unscientific answer:
    they just feel and sound best for the F bass, for me anyway!
    Blackbird- i thought it was cool that George used buckeye for the knobs that echo what the top is doing underneath them - they seem to disappear.. i like!

17. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    "Oooooooohhhhhh.....SaDOWWWWWWWskyyyyyy....."
    [​IMG]