1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Weird frets on a newer precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lamarjones, Apr 21, 2009.

1. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I got a P bass, 07 american standard, off of a guy who barely played it, he said the neck was too thick and had a warwick and said the same thing. He had a jazz and a ibanez that he played, small necks. This guy was a minster, I saw the receipts from musiciansfriend for the two items.

So, sold the p bass, and the guy tells me the frets were filed. He send me pics, and he looks like he is right. The original owner basically said he got it and just never played it and didn't do anything but put it in the closet. I need to follow up with him just to double c heck, but what do you guys think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Looks more like a re-fret than a fret file- they don't look like the tang realy fit the slots perfect... maybe Fender just suck :D lol
    Good luck!
    I'd personally just play it and see if it feels right. If it does, maybe the new/ different/ messed frets are a good thing...?

3. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Kind of wondering if anyone has seen anything like this from fender, or if it really does seem like it was redone. I sold it to someone, and he brought this up. So, apparently it's something he noticed. I'd like to make things right, but at the same time wondering how this ended up happening.

4. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    Just looks like new frets to me.

5. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I've read here that Fender doesn't properly crown their frets, they just level them. Bongomania was rather insistent about this point, and I suspect he is probably right.

Can't imagine an '07 having been refretted, as has been suggested. Maybe Fender did this? Looks like pretty rough fretwork, though. In the last pic, they are flat but not even level. I've never seen a new one that bad.

6. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    talked to the original owner, this is how he got it. You guys think that after a crowning job, he should be straight? I played it and didn't think twice about how it played, but i am a simple guy, give me a bass and if its not completely out of whack, I am going with it.

What does a crowning usually go for?

7. Godbody

Godbody

May 27, 2008
    That's exactly what my Jaguar's frets looked like brand new. Frankly, it was a sloppy job, but lets be honest, as much as I love my Jag, there's definitely some quality issues on most of them right out of the factory. I'm a little surprised that you'd see this on an American Standard.

Do the fret ends tend to bite into the creases on your fingers when you play? That caused me some irritation until I built up a callous (its a weird place to have a callous build up, I know).

8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yeah, I've seen these levelled frets on new Fenders in the stores. Didn't seem to be an issue to me.

9. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Man those frets dont look good, my MIM fenders frets look way better than that. Idk they look like maybe they were played and then leveld poorly

10. Perhaps it was a returned item? Some "new" basses you buy have been owned by people for a couple months, brought to a local shop for work done to fix a problem, and then ultimately returned back to the store.

I would be surprised if it left the factory like that - but that's not impossible either. Looks like it just needs a crowning, and it should be fine. I've never really noticed much issue (on bass) with flat frets. Intonation is still usually fine, and the frets will get like that with some playing anyways. Many people expect frets to only last a couple years on the typical new bass. (cheap nickel fret wire + stainless steel strings = death to frets fast!)

11. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    I have an Ibz that the frets look like that where I bend a lot. It looks like they've been ground down from bending and polished.

12. Bigduke

Bigduke

Dec 10, 2006
    Gc and local music stores hire luthiers to set up their instruments. This is a fact my local luthier charges GC about 45.00 a guitar to go through it. He usually does guitars around the $500.00 range and up.

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    No, that was ME, and of course I'm right. I hope the nitwits who wouldn't hear it take a long look at those pictures. :rolleyes:

That's more or less the way that every new MIA Fender's frets have looked in living memory. I've seen worse.

14. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    They don't here. What comes out of the box is what you get.

This is just a fret leveling without recrowning. What's the big mystery?

15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I had the frets on my 2001 MIM 60's classic crowned. Before that they looked somewhat like the pictures, though that seems pretty rough.

16. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Bongomania, Bongolation, I was close. Sort of. I knew you'd turn up in this thread sooner or later, even if I'm not smart enough to get your name right!

17. heinpete

heinpete

Apr 9, 2008
    Hesse, Germany
    I had my frets recently levelled on my MIM Classic '70ies Jazz and the crowning is only done very lightly, as it otherwise further levels down the frets. Also in theory the wider surface of the frets is supposed to be less prone of grinding by the round wound strings as the surface is wider(!?).

18. Hi.

As said before, those look like normal made in USA Fender frets to me. At least every import that floats over here that I've seen.

Sloppiness like that is the reason at least one music shop has stopped selling any new Fender products. A complete pro setup pumps the price up to be simply not competitive. With a name like Fender I'd expect quality for the price too.

And I agree with the people who say that the detail quality of the Mexican, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, where ever Fenders and Squiers are nowadays made, almost always exeed the US made bigger brothers out of the box. Sad, really IMHO.

Regards
    Sam

19. heinpete

heinpete

Apr 9, 2008
    Hesse, Germany
    I think fret levelling is rather a kind of customising, as could have also played my MIM classic '70ies Jazz right out of the box. But now it is more comfortable (low string height) and still no buzz.

20. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    After seeing this thread on here yesterday, I went to my local GC (North Austin) to examine their new MIA Fender stock. I picked up 4 American Standard Jazzes and 3 American Standard Precisions, and EVERY SINGLE ONE had frets just as bad, or worse than what's pictured. All but one (an '08 Jazz - still tagged as new) were '09 models, FWIW.

I spent a decent amount of time playing each one, and I'm glad I did. It really makes me appreciate all the hard work that Lakland put into my Joe Osborn 5.