1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Weird gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Corbeau, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    There is a guy who runs a band night at a pub every Thursday night, and he welcomes any genre to pop in and play. He would record and video tape each performance, so we thought it would be a good opportunity to get some live footage.

The moment we walked in, we knew we were in trouble. Everyone else there were acoustic acts and we joked that we would clear the room.

We did.

The stage was small, my drummer's kit was sagging into the floor, and we couldn't hear each other well. At the end, one guy comes up to us and said we were "really bad", while another guy told us to "split up". It was really weird.

On the bright side, we did get one person who said we were "awesome" and asked if we had any CDs. So it wasn't a complete disaster.

2. Probably NOT the kind of "live footage" you should consider using.

3. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

Jul 11, 2011
    Open mics are not gigs IMO. Flame on!

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Doesn't sound weird. Just sounds crappy.

5. He said it was a band night, not an open mic.

Pay attention, and now go and stand at The back of the class!

6. ha! in one band i was in, we used to joke that it wasn't a good gig unless at least 3 people walked out in the middle of the set. we were very loud and heavy. i say just go up there and own it man! do it with confidence, people will come around eventually.

7. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    The folkies all got their panties in a wad when Dylan went electric too. Didn't hurt him in the long run. Keep on rockin' and look for better venues.

8. Big Brother

Big Brother

Feb 13, 2011
    San Diego
    Roving sub-demon
    Rock on brother!
    [​IMG]

9. man, where's the like button when ya' need it bert?!?!?

10. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    There's a great quote from an '80's movie that makes a lot of sense if you're trying to navigate a career in rock and roll:

"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn."

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Please do tell what is the difference? Because from the OP's definition it was an open mic night where all are invited to jump on stage and perform with the available (hence open) mic.

Though I am surprised they came up to your face and told you that your band was bad after a show, I am not surprised they said it...

12. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    That's from Better Off Dead isn't it. The guy who played Booger in the Nerd movies says it to John Cusak when he's training for the big ski race. I was a ski bum in CO for 20 years and we had some rules for skiing that apply equally well to bands:

1. No whining
    2. Everyone carries their own gear.
    3. Whatever happens, you meant to do that

13. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Sarcasm...

14. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Sometimes it's a kindness ... just sayin' ...

15. Roaddog77

Roaddog77

Nov 11, 2011
    Yeah this sounds like a place in my area. They have acoustic blues jams and I haven't heard any complaints about that but I joined a band right after they played a gig at the venue and they said it was like that. They were told to turn down until the guitarist had his volume halfway between one and two. They were ignored by most of the people and they all agreed it was their worst gig. I guess rock and roll just ain't for everybody.

16. But was it a gig or an open mic?
    :p

17. my band has played 2 open mics. one at a biker bar blaring pantera when we walked in. cleared the bar.. the other with a bunch of blues guys, they asked us to play 2 more songs. you never know whats going to happen. for a sample of our music click the widget in my sig.

18. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Ahh, sounds like par for the course around here. last Saturday night I asked a gal at the bar why no one was out there dancing. She said, "Because we're over here drinking." Duh. Huh? But, in the words of Alfred E. Newman, "What, me worry?"