Weird guy at the door-fishy story [serious topic matter]

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by CamMcIntyre, Jul 12, 2005.

1. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Hey everybody, i'm posting to see what you guys think of a situation that happened roughly an hour ago. FWIW, i tend to think the worst would happen.

A man came to our house and rang the door bell. [was approximately 6:30AM] By the time my mom got to answering it he had already gotten into his truck and pulled partly into the alley across the street. [she told me that the door bell rang and then went to answer it-but wanted me to know it did in case somebody tried something]

She said "Hello? Hello?" a few times. The guy then backed his truck out of the alley, parked across the street, and walked back towards our house. He got to the edge of the sidewalk before it turns into our walk way and wouldn't go any further up to talk to my mom. He asked for "the guy who's selling the van"-she told him that we sold the van a few months ago and don't have anything to do with it anymore. He then just said "i need to talk to the kid who was selling the van", my mom said "he's not available". Turns out-they went back and forth over that a few times.

He then told her "i wanted to see if i could get some gas for my truck"-that sounds really fishy to me. I can imagine if you've ran out, and you knew where a vehicle was that isn't running, asking them if you can siphon some out, but that part struck me wrong.

My mom was really weirded out by this guy. FWIW, she works at a place where they hire work-release guys to work in the plant [she's an office administrator/secretary]. She said the guy's build reminded her of a guy on their 3rd shift.

So my mom came in and told me this story after the guy left.

Things that strike me wrong: his name, Jim Smith-sounds like he pulled that one outta his posterior, continuing to ask for me after he was told that the van was sold, the manner in he acted while talking to my mom, and well-the timing 6:30AM.

My mom called my grandpa and he told her "it almost seems as if he's casing the place to breka in"-that's where i decide, i'm staying awake, getting cell phone, B. baseball bat.

SO what do you guys think of this situation? I'm supposed to give a bass lesson today, but-i just got this bad feeling like somethin with that guy is really fishy and i don't like it so depending on the next few hours-i might cancel it.

Last night when i was laying down to bed-i thought "i hope we don't get broken into, but if it has to happen, i'd rather it be before i move out". So having a strange guy come to our door @ 6:30AM seemed waaaaaaaay too ironic.

So does this guy and the way he acted seem as fishy to you guys as it does me? Individually, the different things wouldn't trigger any reaction out of me. The sum of the whole though gives me an uneasy feeling. In that-i've been seen walking in and out of my house with bass gear on a pretty regular basis, and if the guy knows i was selling the van-he knows that i have a lot of gear. Yeah it sounds odd-but it makes me wonder if he was planning on trying to break in and steal maybe my upright? The catch w/that, I highly doubt there's anyone in Lafayette that has a New Standard Cleveland-the pros here don't-they're my teachers so if he tried to rip and steal that-assuming he tried to sell it in town {stupid} it'd have a good chance of being foiled. My electrics? Just a Ray5-also, am one of a small number of bass players-even smaller number that own those.

SO guys-am i being just really paranoid, or does something with this situation/story with regards to this guy sound fishy to you too?

I'll be home the bulk of the day and will check every so often to see if there's a response. I think i'm going to reschedule the lesson so i can be home all day.

That's all and thanks guys.

2. Did he have a hook for a hand?

Seriously, don't use 911, but I'd run the story by the cops, thi might be specific to you, or it might be a pattern going on in the neighborhood/city and they'd know what the guy's trying to do cause he's done it to someone else recently. Didn't get a make/model/lic of the van by any chance? See if your mom sees the guy on the 3rd shift, see if he reacts. If he's there, depending how big the parking lot is might go look for the van. Might be the same guy, but stilll might have been coincidence he picked her house.

Could he have been trying to hide the lic plate of the van by parking in the alley, staying a long way away to prevent her from ID'ing him? Not sure if that's a valid characterization, if he backed out of the alley the plate would likely be visible.

3. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    No hook for hand man-if it was NeverLand [Peter Pan land NOT Michael Jackson]-i'd just fly around and track the guy down to see what he really wanted. :)

The alley-is the one across the street so my mom said "i wish i would have gotten the plate #".

He was driving a truck-i was selling the van [sold awhile back 2-3 months ago]. Mom didn't get a license plate # either.

Mom checked time cards & with a supervisor of his shift-the guy was there [at work].

I ran the story and the descriptions by my next door neighbors-we live in a "historic" neighborhood so have all that jazz goin [some of the houses have special plaques on them]. They said it sounds strange with everything together.

I'm beginning to think i'm really over analyzing, but i don't want my mom to feel unsafe at our house-especially w/me leaving in a month and a half.
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'd be weirded out, more by the fact that the guy rang the doorbell at 6:30AM though than anything else. Who the hell in their right minds rings anybody's doorbell at 6AM? Can't say I know exactly what I'd do though.

I'd probably be most concerned, since he seemed to be specifically looking for you, if I crossed anybody in the past month or so. Any new women in your life who may have jealous ex-es? Say anything to anyone you though maybe shouldn't have? Get in any fights or anything lately? Did you sell a van recently (you didn't give much detail on that)? Was there anything wrong with the van that someone may have gotten pissed about? You get the idea - any reason anyone MAY be looking for you?

The only other things that come to mind for me is that maybe the guy was just drunk, saw your van a while ago for sale, and decided this was the time to inquire - or, that maybe your mother misunderstood the things he was saying and got the dialogue wrong. It happens. I dunno.
  5. I was thinking more like "I know what you did last summer", something along Joe Nerve's line of reasoning. Did you run over any old fishermen with the van? :D

Check with the cops see what they say, maybe they've heard of something like this. The van thing could be a standard question in the general scheme of a scam of some sort, when there really happened to be a van for sale recently it may have thrown him off. Or it could have really known about the van somehow.

Go out with any possibly or recently married women lately? An ex may have got your van's lic# number and took a while to trackk you down or get up the nerve to do something about it (maybe was on a drunk that night, finally worked up the courage around 6:30 am. Could be an ex boyfriend too. Any of the women you've dated recently been nervous, looking over their shoulder, try to stab you with an icepick when you put your arm around her? You know, generally kind of jumpy?

I had that once, but he only got my phone#, not address. He was a Polter-divorcee. Like a poltergeist of divorce. He was divorced from his wife, but refused to move on to the next plane of existence. Funny thing was I was just an acquaintence, never dated her.

6. Don't call 911 since it isn't an emergency, but definitely make a police report. It could be nothing, just a weird series of coincidence, and it could be something important. The cops are the repository of al weirdness, so let them sort it out.

I live in a very rural area and someone rummaged through our cars last night. My wife found her purse (ATM card missing) and my briefcase a few hundred yards up the road. We're going to start locking the cars and I guess we will have to install locks on the doors of the house. I hate door locks and haven't had a door key since leaving the city 15 years ago.
  7. People that don't want any witnesses. Catch people half asleep, maybe they're more susceptable to scamming?

8. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    I'd definitely run it by the cops just so they have a report on it. Next time get every detail available. Take some pictures or video while you're at it. Anyone ringing my doorbell at that hour would be living dangerously. If they started asking questions about something that happened a few months ago they might find themselves face down at gun point. My view of things may be a little skewed though, I'm incredibly paranoid. :hyper:
  9. Too bad your mom didn't say "I just moved in here, must have been the previous owner." That would have covered someone looking for you, not a random thing.

10. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I agree with the 6AM stopping by-but, if he worked nights, i could understand stopping by @ 6 b/c if he'd be at work when we're home, and we're at work when he's home-it'd be the best time.

Nope haven't crossed anyone in the past month-i've been playing Xbox, played a church gig, and hung out with my friends-haven't been out in public much.

An idea i had [was going off the train of thought-wants to break in] maybe he wanted to size me up. I'm pretty sure he has no clue if i'm an adult or if i'm a teenager unless if he has saw me around the town.

No women in my life either-i just graduated high school and this guy was in his mid-late 30's, all of my exs [a whole 3] don't date guys that old. The ex stuff is a diff. ball game-if it was going to be one of them, it'd be ex #2's dad that would come after me-he never condoned us dating, and i was pretty much the opposite of what they wanted their daughter dating. They want her to date a boy who goes to church every sunday, is clean cut, and wants to be in a more concrete industry vs. i play in a church band every other weekend, have hair as long as hers, do every band i can, and am going to school to become a better musician.

No fights either-i tend to just say to people on the street as i'm walking past. It's not all that uncommon here.

I did sell a van-was a few months back. This wasn't the guy that bought it though. The guy that bought the van actually lives back down the other alley [the one that goes right next to my bedroom]. He's an old retired guy that's on social security-wanted a "fixer upper" van so he'd have something to do.

The only reason why people around here generally get ahold of or look for me is for bass related stuff-i've gotten calls from friends of friends type things to play with different groups of people.

I could definately see the last one happening....i inherited the "assume the worst" mentality from my mom. We both tend to think of the worst possible thing that could happen, and then are normally relieved that it doesn't. The catch though with the parts of the statement is-the van was parked in our car port [2 space] for several months [didn't run], and is no longer there [so that means it sold].

Steve-nah, in my car, it's hard to do much damage to anyone unless if i get some speed going since the hard rides so low [84 Impala].

I told my mom about the recommendation to call the police and at least run it by them. She said she will here in a few. She's at work so that's understandable to me.

The idea of the guy being drunk-very possible-there's apartments behind my house {also down the alley} in addition to there being a homeless shelter/help center across the street.

I'm a lot more relaxed now though-i told our neighbors so they're just going to keep their eyes open.

If I was going by GW's alert levels, i'd be right between yellow and orange-more alert/aware than normal, but-not in "oh god, i'm gonna die, i'm gonna die". :)

Did i mention i got about 3hrs of sleep? :bassist:
  11. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Thanks guys, this is my go to site for right about anything.

Also-we're asking our land lord to install a peep hole on the door so that we don't have to open it to see who it is anymore.

Aaron Schiff-that truly bites that that stuff happened to you guys.

I'm more used to being asked my minorities about if i want to sell my car to em even while we're in traffic. [note-this is not a generalization, the only people who have asked me this are minorities and tend to be the guys who have rap blaring from their cars.....if you look at a picture of me, you'll see i'm on the other extreme]

Steve-the "Check with the cops see what they say, maybe they've heard of something like this. The van thing could be a standard question in the general scheme of a scam of some sort, when there really happened to be a van for sale recently it may have thrown him off. Or it could have really known about the van somehow. " my mom actually addressed to me-she thought maybe knowing that we had a van for sale caused him to pick us. Could very well see what you're talking about though, i'd find that a bit humorous.

I love making people that try stuff on me feel stupid [e.g. try and prank me or crack a joke on my expense].

Oh yeah.......the only GAS-i could give the guy is if he's a bassist.....give him a link to this site. :)
  12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I know you can't have handguns in Chicago, but nobody argues with a 12 Gauge. :bassist:

The Van has been SOLD Mister!
  13. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Hehe.....i'm in Lafayette at the time being-Chicago will be here come August 26th. I used to carry mace on me [elementary school....we had several kids from my school get picked up by strangers-my mom gave me mace as a deterent to anyone trying to abduct me].

I've actually got a buddy who owns a small arsenal full of hunting rifles. When my last band and i parted ways in a not so peaceful manner-he accompanied me. I thought they would try and jump me or something when i was picking up my equipment-so i brought 2 of my own guys just in case......1 to go in with me, and 1 to stay in the truck and call the police if they tried something.
  14. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    why didnt your mom just come get you if you were home?

seems kinda shady, i would have wanted to see what his problem was, and if he didnt have any problems, i would have loved to give him one.

its just really shady, be on the look out for his truck.
  15. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    You might also talk to the guy who bought the van. He may know something or at least give him a heads up to keep an eye out.
  16. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000

My mom did wake me up, but just told me what she was doing-not that she thought he was acting strange [since she hadn't tlaked to him yet].

That's all......i'm checking every couple of minutes. Thanks for the responses guys.
  17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    DO NOT leave your mother alone in that place. Seriously, I'd get her a piece.
  18. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Good advice from Mike Money. Seriously!
  19. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My grandma owns a loan business in town... She carries a small .38 revolver. Some weirdo was approaching her, obviously up to no good. He backed off when she started reaching into her purse...
  20. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i wish my grandma would pack heat.

the closest thing we have in my house is a rifle from ww2(dont know how my grandfather ended up with it) but i dont even think it fires anymore. havent shot it in years(like atleast 10).

which is all good, because if a burgular comes in, he is in for a rude awakening when he sees me and louis.