Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weird half-fretted bass on the bay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klocwerk, Jan 17, 2006.

1. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    link

it's a 7 string, "low B, E and high B,E strings are fretted while the A, D, G strings are fretless."
    :eyebrow:

Gotta say, first time I've seen that.

[​IMG]

(no affiliation to auction, etc. )

2. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    that's just... just wrong.
    I cannot imagine playing that thing at all.
    Perhaps that is why it is on ebay. "Sounded good at the time!"

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Have seen similar before. I dont quite get why they tuned it like a guitar with a low B though.

4. I wonder when we 're going to see a bass with frets on 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th etc and 2nd, 4th, 6th etc fretless... Stick to the plan everyone:eyebrow:

5. People play 7+ string basses... why not this after all. Why not anything. I wonder why we don't see piano players ordering custom 12 octave pianos... Or violin players with 7 string violins... I always wonder what kind of craze bass players have to always need more... I mean, we're the only instrumentalists I can think of with that kind of neurosis.

6. *cough* Guitarists too *cough*

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, the bass guitar's just over 50 years old. I'm sure that the instruments you mentioned also went through a lot of experimentation and variations before they settled to their current specs. The difference is that their mutant instruments must have disappeared or been distroyed by now, whereas the bass is being modified now and we have the internet to make sure everyone knows about it...

8. Sir Krimskull

Sir Krimskull

Jan 16, 2006
    Germany
    That's amazing, but i can't believe that it might be usefull in any way. o_O

9. I think theres a lot of truth to that statement.

Apart from bass guitar, and electronics...we are at quite a conservative period in instrument history, possibly: mass production forces a certain homogenity, though does bring prices down.

At one time equal temperment intonation was not standard at all, and various tuning/intonation systems were commonly available and used (so I'm led to believe anyway). Just intonation and microtones are still quite hard to work with even with computers and midi - everythings disposed towards a 12 tone octave.

There is a website somewhere showing lot of pretty mad guitars from 100-400 years ago...can;t find it but a couple of examples are here:

http://www.ziplink.net/~hka/guitars.html

One flavour of bass I'd love to try or even own is metal fretboard fretless. Vigier makes them I think, but I'm sure they are expensive. There is an indian (as in the country) instrument, forget the name, which is basically a fretless guitar with metal 'fret'board. I heard a sound clip and it was very exotic and evocative. Helps solve the sustain issues with fretless and provide a unique sound I suppose.

10. Koushaku

Koushaku The artist never sleeps, only dreams

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    But there are seven string violins. I know like 6 violinists, and they don't think that me playing 5, 6 strings or more on bass is at all that uncommon.

11. The plot thickens......

That is a weird/awesome bass!

btw there's this company now that makes basses fretted up to the 12th fret, then fretless after that. So your upper register is fretless, and down low is fretted. Good Idea, but you would have to mod your fingerings to either fretted or fretless. I say just get 2 dif basses.

800 posts!:ninja:

12. There are 7 string violins... as for pianos, firstly I think you get to the limits of what the human ear can hear and distinguish, and also I don't think you can get much more than 7 octaves and still have the piano transportable from the factory ;) (ok, maybe not fromthe factory, but at it's destination, a piano like that would need to be movable on and off stage etc). Bosendorfer has 9 extra keys on their Imperial model, and I think that is about as many as anyone has added to a piano of late.

13. I believe there is a 12 octave Piano. 119-ish keys or something...

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Here's a good one. Microtonal...

[​IMG]

Here's a closeup of a guitar neck:

[​IMG]

Sorry for the big width. It's the only good one I could find.

15. For some reason, looking atthat makes me angry...

16. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I'd play it

17. TheMightyQuinn

TheMightyQuinn

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    I'd definately have a go at that! And its an ASAT as well. All the better :)

18. jacko spades

jacko spades

Jan 9, 2006
    Central FL
    ^^^^ Can't you people see - that's a message written in alien code warning us of the approaching apocalypse!!!!:eek:

:ninja:
    :bag:

19. Natural progression for anyone that plays 5-string bass. The lowest string is a B; added on below the original tuning. A guitar is tuned EADGBE, and since this is a 7-string, (which the guitarist in my group has), the lowest string is the add-on, and therefore is a low B for depth. Interesting, though...:meh:

20. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    ok stop RIGHT NOW.

number one: How does that bass work... I mean, explain the break down of microtonal fretboards.

2) I need pictures/explanation of a 7 string violin. We've just had two people say "that's not weird"