1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

weird harmonic ring. need help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Sep 15, 2008.

1. even time i play this c# note on the G string of my bass, a harmonic rises out of it pretty loud after a second or so:eek::confused:. hear it here:
    http://media.putfile.com/harmonic-ring

in this clip i first play that problematic note C# then the next fret D to give you an example, after that am sliding the harmonic to give you a better idea perhaps. so any idea why is this happening? i dont know i never really noticed this before in past 1.5 years with this bass. is it my strings, or bass or cable or anything besides?:eyebrow:

this clip was recorded straight from my bass into the mic in on my computer no eq or anything applied to it. and this ring happens only on that specific note, not even its octaves. the rising harmonic is not entirely bad because i can do creepy stuff with it with my distortion :bassist::p but i rather have it in control.

so any clue why this is happening and how can i put it back to normal like all the other notes?

2. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Didn't listen to the clip and didn't even read the whole post, but I'm pretty confident you have a dead spot on that C#. Go googling "dead spot".

EDIT: Listened to the clip. Dead spot.

3. That is really a RING! Try changing the string out for another. If that doesn't help you may need to adjust the intonation saddle of your bridge to try to get that harmonic to move slightly.

4. Beta

Beta

May 9, 2007
    I'm having the same problem at the 9th fret of the G string on my Warwick.

It started after I brought the bass in to a tech for a setup. I took it back, and he slightly filed down a couple of frets to make sure they weren't too high/uneven, and the problem persists.

He said the next thing to do is replace the string.

5. i'd find out about dead spots. but since i keep changing my strings and re-using them, i'd try changing the set again. this specific string in particular has seen a lot lot of use and abuse

6. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Muting. Rest one (or more) of your fingers lightly on the strings you aren't playing. In this case, I believe the harmonic is ringing on your A string.

7. nope. all other strings are well muted.

8. bumping for more replies on how to set it right

9. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    One thing you could try - tune the string to another pitch to see what happens. Did the dead note move up/down a couple of frets or is it just another dead note on the same place of the fretboard?

10. i thought about this yesterday but didnt go this because i was too lazy and though "no man am not tuning down the whole bass" but in the morning i realized "duhh you just have to tune down ONE string::p

silly me.
    anyway just gonna do that and report back with results.

11. ok so i tuned up half step down and the wierd note shifted one fret ahead. the note overall has a lot less sustain, it dies out quickly and the harmonic rises out or is probably better heard after the note dies out. maybe it is a deadspot?

can basses "develop" dead spots?

12. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Ok... I'm not an expert on dead spots, perhaps someone else can chime in to help? On the soundclip it sounds really like a dead spot, with the exception that the note dies quicker than I've ever heard before. I just lack knowledge on what to do about it.

In the meantime, you could try one this: Unplug the bass. Put your ear tightly against the bass' upper horn. Play. Listen to how the dead note and the neighboring notes sounds acoustically. Does it sound the same? If not, the problem is in the pickups or later in the sound chain. I however doubt this is the case.

Also check if the string is the problem by changing it to a new or an old string and see if that changes anything.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Well you have answered your own question right there! :eyebrow:

This is the kind of thing that tells you that the string has failed and needs to be replaced.

Especially if you keep taking strings on and off they will fail more quickly - it will probably break or has already partially broken - you just need new strings!

14. sorry forgot to mention in the first post that i have already tested this. nothing wrong with the pick up. it sounds the same acoustically like it does amplified

i'd change the strings to check then! thanks