1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weird... I guess my SR5 is about to go

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JayAmel, Mar 12, 2008.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Hi folks,

I really thought I'd never get parted with my SR5.

But yesterday evening, I was offered a deal I don't feel able to resist.

This is it :

[​IMG]

The fact is, for years I have been wanting one, and since Fender unfortunately discontinued them I have less and less chances to get one in perfect condition. This one is.

Straight swap with the guy. My SR5 with its small chip and non-original hard case, for his mint Fender P AmDlx 5 ash.

What ya think, everyone ?

2. She's a peach. I'd do it....it's beautiful...and sure it plays awesome.

3. If you want it more than the Ray, go for it. From a monetary standpoint, a used P Deluxe 5 is going for about $150-$200 more than a used Ray 5. Good deal IMO.

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Do it.

If you decide down the road that you want a Ray5, they are consistent enough and readily available that you won't have any issues finding one.

5. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Thanks for your comments, guys.

I had an Am Dlx Jazz 5 before. I loved the neck. Just sounded a bit too "thin" to me (probably due to the J/J PU config I've never been a big fan of).

That's why I went SR5. I really love it, but I slightly prefer the Fender Am Dlx neck over the SR5 one.

As far as I remember (had tried one Am Dlx P5 a few years ago), I can get some solid growl with it (while not being exactly the Ray growl, which is specific to the Ray), but I can also get some more vintagey tones (kinda P tone, while not exactly either, but these are not easy to get out of a Ray).

If I had the cash, I'd keep the SR5 _and_ get that P5. I don't, and I am currently saving for a 4-string Ray. So I guess it makes more sense, about planning for two basses and only two, having two that are pretty different.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'd do it. You can always buy another SR5.

7. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    +1 to both of these comments.

8. leftymike

leftymike

Sep 23, 2006
    Austin Tejas
    I was initially going to say "WHAT?! no way, keep the Ray" but other TBers comments make more sense. You can always find another Ray 5. I'd do it.

9. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Well, as I explained in my first post, I really never imagined I'd let my SR5 go. I really mean : NEVER.

But yesterday evening I found this ad saying the guy would sell this beauty P, or swap it for an SR5.

I couldn't resist. I hardly believe myself as I'm writing this.

But yes, I can always find another SR5, anytime. Not the same about the P5.

10. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Do It !!!!

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Those are really nice. I used Tom B's for a while when I was bassless, and it really fits the bill for most things. Do it. SR5 are great basses but you can ALWAYS find one of those for sale.

12. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Seems like a good deal, the P5 is sexy as heck.

13. another vote for me urging you to do it. Those can only get harder and harder to find. Since its a straight trade, you can then start saving to reintroduce a SR5 in your stable. You can try plenty before you buy another.

14. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I'd hit it.

15. I had a 4 string version of the dlx P bass, and loved it. Tight punchy tone and very nice to play. All I'd say is this though, I haven't got it anymore, but I still have my 'ray. Both great basses, and if it's what you want, go for it, but you'll want another 'ray before too long, so start saving.

16. I'd say don't do it.

The SR5 has a much better B IME. The newer P5s are lighter and sound better than the older ones IMO. I'd say keep the SR5 and get a new P5. Rays are pretty consistent, but some have a little more magic than others. If you love yours, I'd say keep it. There is nothing like a bass that feels right no matter what the brand.

You can always get another Ray??? You can ALWAYS get a new P5 also. ;)

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Not exactly. Your SR5 has ceramic pickups. The New SR5's have alnico pick-ups. They sound different, i.e. warmer, less punchy. You'll get another SR5 down the track and wonder if it's your ears or your memory playing up, and you'll wish you never sold the old one.

You'll have to get a Sterling 5 to get pack that punchy ceramic pick-up sound. If that's not OK, then I say find the cash another way.

18. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    I know, Pete, but since SR5's were built from 1987 to 2007 with ceramic pickups, if I ever want an SR5 again, I guess I'll still be able to find one built inside that time lap.

19. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    A wise man, you are.

[​IMG]

20. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I hope you like thick necks.