1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Weird Idea, but wanted to know your thoughts

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fatboy250, Apr 28, 2006.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

never messed with an acoustic but first you'd need metallic strings and seems some of those don't have them. Then there's the mounting issue.

There's been a myriad of hollowbody electrics with dual and single coil pups so it's not far removed and a mag pup is fucntionally a mag pup regardless of design.

Feedback would be a consideration.

No doubt it's been done countless times but there's probably a reason none are manufactured as such - at least that I'm aware of.

2. i don't know much about pickups, but wouldn't there be frequency range issues as well?
    i don't know much about it, but i would imagine that a pickup designed for guitar might be made to focus on different frequencies...i don't know though

3. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Ok, you're wondering about dropping a jazz pickup and a piezo into an acoustic bass, right? Here's the problem: those magnetic acoustic pickups are specifically voiced to sound 'acoustic'. A jazz pickup won't sound the same. Having a magnetic and piezo pickup in the same bass is a fine idea, but you need a proper preamp to blend them. I believe there are commercial systems available that include both a magnetic and piezo pickups. That would be your best bet.

4. yeah the Jazz and the piezo will be staggeringly different impedances. You cant just wire them like a PJ and a JAzz or 2 Jazz's. Do you like the sound of the piezo? I think they are too shrill myself. Ina any case you would need a fishman blender or some such preamp/mixer to use both tho.