Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

weird inconsistent distortion?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Guinpen, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Guinpen

Guinpen

Dec 21, 2004
    I have a Carvin R600 head and some sort of cab with an 18" black widow speaker in it that I play through, and last week it was working perfectly, nice and loud, no clipping or distortion, but today at band practice I plugged in and there was this inconsistent low-volume distortion.

The first thing I assumed was that it was my bass's battery, because it had a very similar sound to the battery being dead. Put two different ones in, and nothing. I tried another bass in the amp and had the same problem, so it wasn't that. Tried a new cord, same thing, tried a new speaker cable too, and the exact same thing. My Peavey TNT115 worked fine with everything. The speaker's not visible and my guitarist said the speaker was intact, not torn to shreds or anything of the sort- besides, when I've seen that happen it's the high end that's more audible than the low end, such is the opposite in this case.

The distortion is mostly on high strings. I play a 6 string, and on the G and C strings, it's barely audible, and on lower strings, it gets less distorted and is more loud and bassy, but it's still there. My question is, where could the problem be? Keep in mind a week ago it was working perfectly, no problems, but I turn the amp on a week later and the first note I play is a small fart. How is this possible, to revisit it and it's suddenly ****ed?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  3. Guinpen

Guinpen

Dec 21, 2004
    it's solid state

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    no preamp tube(s)?

sounds like something is failing somewhere in the internal signal chain of the head.

5. Guinpen

Guinpen

Dec 21, 2004
    ok, it got a bit more odd

I plugged in today, and the amp worked fine. No distortion at all, for about a minute. Then certain frets caused some distortion, and pretty soon it was back to being quiet and horribly distorted and cutting out.

What could the problem possibly be now? I'm thinking that a wire is being vibrated loose from somewhere.

6. Check the outlet you are plugging into, it causes stuff like that if it's not putting out enough wattage. Also check your plug cord thing.

7. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    This sounds very familiar to my grounding problem on my BX600.

Try playing a troublesome note and touching the side of the amp. See if that makes it dissapear. Just to test that theory.