1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weird Input Jack Locations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nate Tetzlaff, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Nate Tetzlaff

Nate Tetzlaff

Nov 13, 2017
    I was trying some basses out in a music store a few months ago. There was this really nice 5 string there that had the output jack in the back of the body. It was really comfortable and kept the cord out of the way. Made me wonder why more bass manufacturers didn't do it as well. Plus the bass played great! I can't for the life of me remember the maker of it, so if any of you had an idea of what it might be that would be sweet. But what are some other unconventional output jack locations you've all seen? Thought it would be an interesting topic.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  2. Those jacks are for the output.

Axstar, gebass6, Catbuster and 8 others like this.
  3. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I got dual rear positioned output jacks - makes the most sense.
    180C5D89-A31D-4EAF-A70F-A8B5D65BDC1F.

4. Nate Tetzlaff

Nate Tetzlaff

Nov 13, 2017
    Dang, yeah I don't know what I was thinking there.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. There are pros and cons to different jack locations and everyone has their preferences.

My dingwall has an interesting jack location. It’s higher up than most basses with a side jack, more so on the end of the bass. I like this because when my high energy rock band is playing I’ve detroyed several jacks on other basses because of my thigh hitting the cable when jumping around. On the dingwall the jack is out of the way when standing and that doesn’t happen. This bass is more comfortable to play sitting with it on my right thigh so sitting isn’t an issue 835F6EA6-4D29-4F69-867B-E01FEB7EA1F6.
    Check out the location in the warwick thumb for comparison. I had to replace those jacks like once a year lol
    4C5819CA-A656-43A2-984F-8610DFCAFB68. The top jack location normally found on fender style basses has its pros and cons also. For example when playing sitting down in a classical guitar position with the bass between my legs the cable is out of the way and not poking me in the thigh. 5589D498-2DBE-4121-B6A1-304D2C9D5B0D. You can maybe see in this pic of Janek playing why he seems to prefer top jacks with his sitting position. Notice the cable isn’t poking him in the leg and he can move the bass between that position and resting on his right thigh without the cable getting hung up on his leg/pants. E7175851-7F87-483E-86AA-F4102D9B1A81.

downside is I absolutely can’t stand the look of a straight cable into a top jack, the cable absolutely has to have a right angle on it. Which is annoying to me because my dingwall works better with a straight end cable because of the inward curvature of the body where the jack is. So I’m pretty much screwed either way and forced to use different cables for different basses lol and because of that I don’t put a ton of consideration into jack location aside from wanting one that won’t constantly break.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Scott Baiowulf likes this.
  6. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    yamaha bbne2
    n-yam-bbne2-wh_5.

NKBassman, osv, Williethump and 7 others like this.
  7. While I like everything else about the Ibanez SR series, the recessed jack's small cutout and it's angle bug me.

Wherever the output jack ends up, I want to be able to run the cable between the strap and the body without any fuss.
    It's still the fastest and most convenient cable strain relief option.

FingerDub likes this.
  8. My Brian Moore basses have an odd, but very ergonomic jack location. That bass is upside down for some reason. The output jack is in the lower, routed section in the picture. Between that and a wireless, I've had the occasional audience member accuse me Milli Vanilli-ing my bass lines!

Added: If it was a Brian Moore you found, let me know where it was if you're not interested. Always on the lookout for those.

Brian-Moore-i5-Serial-MO1111156-2095-b-468x312.

9. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    My Steinberger's jack was on the back of the bass, lower right. At first I wasnt sure, but it worked pretty well and never was in the way.

10. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    This is not a bad idea. I have an ABG where the strap button has a hole in the center where the plug goes. I also have a number of guitars that are this way. It puts cable in a good spot but problem comes if you want to replace the buttons with straplocs which I do with all my basses.

11. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    Some old Westones put the jack where most manufacturers put the D string tuner. It's pretty weird until you get used to it. IMG_1982 2.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  12. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    learn something new every day

13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i know you're rockin' it! :laugh:

DanAdams likes this.
  14. Alex Masters

Alex Masters

Aug 3, 2017
    Wow - whatever will they think of next! :roflmao::roflmao:

15. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    You could just get one straight x right angle cable and then flip ends when you play one bass or the other.

16. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Leave it to Yamaha to come up with the perfect solution to an age old problem. It’s easy to get to, ergonomic, and completely protected from damage.

Why more manufacturers don’t offer this style of output is beyond me.

Nate Tetzlaff and osv like this.
  17. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    Sold my jazz bass cause weight and complexity, but I liked the output jack on the front.
    All my basses have the jack positioned on the bottom edge, normal but awkward. Can't stand it on the couch plugged in.
    And be very careful using a headphone amp like Vox's Amplug. Can't see the controls with the bottom jack location.
    And the protruding Amplug dongle is just waiting to break off with one wrong swing of the bass.

18. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    At first I thought the jack was that bit between the bridge and pickup and I was going to have choise words about that.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    cataract likes this.
  19. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Yeah that would definitely call for a right angled plug! :smug:

20. Nate Tetzlaff

Nate Tetzlaff

Nov 13, 2017

THANK YOU. That's what it was! It was a Brian Moore i5. It was super cool, I just wasn't on the prowl for a 5 string at the time. I played it at Heid's Music in Appleton, WI. No idea if it's still there, I go to school in Michigan.