Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weird "lead" instrument

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ThePaste, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Do any of you have a band with a strange lead instrument? I was thinking of starting a band with me on bass and vocals, a friend on drums, and a zylaphone (spl?).

But has any one here ever had a band or thought of having a band with a stranger lead instrument than just a guitar or keyboard or bass?

2. Sure--I'm thinking of ganking the trumpeter and drummer from my fusion band, getting a jazz keyboardist, and starting an electric jazz/funk combo. If you go outside the context of MOR rock, you find horns (most ska bands), violins (King Crimson, Dixie Dregs), and even flutes (Jethro Tull) being used as lead instruments.

3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    For a while I was playing in a rather eclectic "gypsy funk" band called Rose Garden. My fretless bass was the most conventional instrument in the group. One guy played bouzouki, tenor banjo, tin whistle, and kalimba; another played violin and mandolin; and the percussionist had quite an amazing setup with a djembe, bells and rattles on his ankles, two didgeridoos, a bunch of random acoustic percussion toys, and an assortment of gourds and metallic objects fitted with contact mics and sent through a formidable array of effects. Everybody also sang and contributed wordless vocalizations. It was interesting to take part in a group that literally did not sound like any other; we borrowed liberally from Irish, African, Klezmer, and Middle Eastern traditions and made our own music from them.

4. jimstick

jimstick

Dec 8, 2000
    I was thinking of starting a band with a bavarian cheese whistle, a coffee can, and someone playing the skin flute.

5. To thePaste; ever heard of a band called Morphine? Their lineup was two string bass (played with a slide!), baritone sax, and drums.

6. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Winston - I don't suppose your gypsy funk band ever recorded anything? It sounds amazing... I'd love to hear some if you've got any tracks on tape or CD...

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

About ten years ago, there was a musician who played heavy metal lead electric violin. I used to see his CD advertised in Guitar World or similar magazines. I actually heard a cut of his music on a guitar compellation. He sounded similar to Ynwie Malmsteen. But I haven't heard anything about him recently and regret that I cannot remember his name.

jason oldsted

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Xylophone. It could also have been a Marimba.

Will C.:cool:

9. Ohhhhh, gotcha.

Marimba= Xylophone?

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...uh, no.
    A marimba & an xylophone both have a set of graduated wooden bars; a marimba is played with mallets, an xylophone is played with hammers.
    A vibraphone(or vibes/vibraharp)is kinda in the same family; vibes have graduated metal bars, is played with mallets(usually), & has an electric motor that yields a tremolo-like effect. A Fender Rhodes electric piano has a similiar sound...
    Check out Dave Holland's PRIME DIRECTIVE album to hear how Steve Nelson comps with the vibes.