Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weird left hand pain

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by PionFou, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Hi,

Here is another LH pain question: whenever I play, I have this tingeling sensation in my LH fingers. The top of my hand (the flip side of my palm) and the part under my pinky hurt like hell to. I figure this is due to bad technique, I probably bend my wrist too much. Has any of you ever experience this? How did you make it go away.

Thanks

David

2. cirwin

cirwin

May 2, 2005
    Tingling is a symptom of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. If you are having these kinds of pain, run don't walk to the doctor. Find one who works with musicians. And find a teacher or therapist who has experience with hand, arm and wrist issues to look at your technique and help you find a better way to play. Remember - Pain is nature's way of telling you you're doing some wrong!

3. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Indeed it is! The wrist bend you mentioned could be the main clue here though... maybe it's cutting off the circulation to your fingers? Not sure, I don't get much pain (only when I'm playing long songs with hardly any riff changes).

4. Well, I made an appointment with a phisical therapist tomorrow. I found one specialized in sports and she told me she treated musicians before, so I guess I'll give it a try. Will see. Thanks for the reply and wish me luck!!

5. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I had this problem too, lost the feeling in my pinky and ring fingers. I saw an orthopedic surgeon who specialized in hands. The problem was the weight of my bass. I sold my P-bass and got an Ibanez. I also wore wrist splints at night for the next few years. Now I rarely have any pain or tingling at all. Good luck with the PT, I wish that experience on no one.

6. eboe

eboe

Jul 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I had bilateral carpal tunnel release surgery aobut a year ago, and it totally fixed my problems right up, but apparently my nerve latency test were way out of whack. i mean, i type on a computer and also play online games. so it is probably a combination, the one thing is did realize is that if they say you need surgery, GET IT DONE. Splints will not help, but hurt, if it is too far along.

And the one thing my surgeon told me - usually carpal tunnel does NOT effect the pinkie. the pinkie's nerves do not pass through the carpal tunnel, so it might be something different all together.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I had a lot of wrist problems a few years back. I hate doctors. I'd much rather thoroughly investigate a problem myself before taking it to a doctor. Doctors often only frighten people, prescribe uneeded and harmful medications, recommend surgery that is unnecessary, and in the long run give people more problems than they walked into their offices with. You can (and I know some WILL) argue this, but it's my experience, it's what I've seen far too many times, and I doubt I'll be convinced otherwise. I now only go to a doctor when it's absolutely necessary.

For the pain and numbness in my wrist I did wrist stretches in both directions, laid off the heavy weight training I was doing, took glucosamine and chonidriton (sp?), and most importantly realized it was the neck on my Warwick that was destroying me. Not saying the neck was bad - I loved it actually - it just somehow didn't gel with my wrist and the way I held the bass. I realized it was the culprit when I got my Sterling and would switch back and forth for different gigs. Warwick - wrist hurts, Sterling - all's swell.

8. Joe, you might be on to something here...

I just switched to fretless. Thowing that I have small hands, maybe I stretched too much. If I did, and used bad technique, there could be my problem. Anyway, with PT and a good teacher (I was lucky enough to find one), that could be the end of it. If not, well, I'll switch back to fretted bass... :crying:
    David

9. ...knowing that I have small hands....
    sorry about the typo....
    Dvd