1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weird little issue with Hartke HA3500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Achtane, May 13, 2010.

1. Hey TB, I've started noticing this lately...it's like a "farting" noise, I guess a bit like a blown speaker sound -- but I'm pretty positive it's not my cab. I'm running my Hondo P-bass into a Hartke HA3500 with a Hartke 410XL cab. I set the tube preamp to "4" (11 o'clock), the solid state to "1" (7 o'clock), and the volume is usually at 1 or 2 when just practicing.

I say "lately" because I've started messing around with pick style and I only get this noise when I dig in near the pickup. If I compensate by playing near the bridge it only occasionally happens, but right above the pickup it's a mess.

Achtane, why don't you just lower your pickup height?

Well, here is the weird part -- if I turn up the solid state and turn off the tube, I can beat the crap out of the strings and don't get this sound. It's only when I turn up the tube at all.

The amp was made in 1999, and from the seller, "I changed the tube to a JJ ECC83S two years ago." Aside from playing more softly, is there something stupidly simple I can do or should I go ahead and order a new tube? The amp is otherwise in mint condition.

It's not a huge deal, but it is annoying.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I bought this head in a combo once. It was a used one at a dealer, and when I tried it out in the store, it made noises like that. Owner: "Oh, the tube went microphonic. Gimme five minutes, and I'll put a new one in." This was about 15 years ago, and the amp's been fine since. (I sold it to a friend, and gigs with it all the time.)

3. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    tube

4. I see, I'll get a new one then. Thanks.