Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

weird looking high end basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geezer316, Apr 2, 2003.

1. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    is it just me but lately i've noticed that "higher"
    end basses look a little odd? like having an odd shaped body with an elaborite wood markings,
    even their knok-offs try to mimic that "overly exotic" and super quality wood with "peacock" markings,its hard for me to explain because i pay them no mind and dont even look at names.
    this thread is'nt ment to ruffle any feathers or offend anyone,my question is a simple one :are their any simple bass folks out there who appreciate
    the 'CLASSIC STYLE" basses? i know there is because i see read their posts everyday ,i am just wondering if they "feel" the same way i do about them new fangled basses taken over our children?
    LOL any feedback?(come-on you old school fender players step up to the plate):(

2. one_skunk

one_skunk

Apr 30, 2001
    florida
    you know i am the total opposite i cant stand the "CLASSIC STYLE" dont like the looks, the sound or the weight of those things. give me the high end instrument anyday;)

3. Instead of traditional looking basses and highend basses that look like high end furniture, i prefer modern looking basses like Spectors and others like that that have fancy quilt tops but still have a stained color. I think these look far more interesting than a tradtional solid colour or a piece of fancy wood, but that's just my personal opinion.

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I like them both- its kinda like cars. I like the old classics, but I like thenew sports cars too. They are different and that's ok- it gives more variety and keeps things interesting. I have a more modern lookign spector, adn a classic jazz. :)

5. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I love them all.

I love them classic and new.
    ... fancy and plain.
    ... expensive and cheap.
    ... fretted and fretless.
    ... stained and bald.
    ... solid and sunburst.
    ... short scale and long.
    ... headless and headed.

I just love the bass guitar.

Thank you Leo.

P.S.: I know he's not the first guy to make a bass guitar, but he got it going.

6. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    I appreciate both too, but I have to admit that I prefer to look at highly figured spalted and burled tops at a close range only, where I can see all the beautiful fine detail.

From too far away it tends to look like somebody barfed on the bass. :D

7. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Those are the basses I like. I'm not much for classic looking basses at all. Give me a pointy B.C. Rich or a nice single-cut Fodera any day. To each his own....