Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weird Muting Noises

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Vorago, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Alraidy then.

So last night I had a gig and while soundchecking some small problems occured. The drummer and I were playing Suck My Kiss from the Peppers and I sometimes have the tendency to mute my strings rather hard with my picking hand (especially when playing more funky stuff). The soundmen asked me what I was doing and I said that I was just muting...He said that it sounded like someone was hitting the elements :meh: So I answered that it's just something that I do.

Now my question; Is it a wrong muting style? Are it my elements? Was it the amplifier (A roland)? Was it the soundsmen?

Anyway, this kinda bothers me actually, any help would be apreciated...

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It depends on how loud of massive the "thud" is, it can sound nice for some bass lines, but I guess it can easily be annoying for soundmen and audience.

Try to control it, I like to keep my muting noiseless unless I want to use that "thud" as a percussive effect.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea i guesss it depends on the music. I do that intentionaly sometimes.

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    For some reason the percussive hits and muted notes tend to impress me alot.
    Anyway mabye you just had the bass turned up a bit. Or they did. Either way it may have been the sound men, they might not have had much experience with bass players doing techniques with that.

If you didnt hear the noise yourself, it hard to say what it was. Mabye the sound guys had never heard it and didnt like it :confused:

5. Do you mean the strings hit the pickups and produce a loud "pop"? If so, that's bad, m'kay? Try hitting the strings a little bit more softly.

Or maybe your pickups are just too high.

Hope this helps.