Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weird mysterious ghost in the machine?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by umdenken, Mar 7, 2006.

1. umdenken

umdenken

Jun 12, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I just had a strange experience with a sound problem, and once I found out what was going on, it surprised me. I wondered if others had surprising stories like this:

Last night, getting ready to practice with my 'small' (9-piece) jazz band, I connected my bass into my PA as usual, and every time I hit a note, I got a loud high-pitched crackle from the PA horns. I was convinced I must have blown my PA cabs, somehow. The sound was unmistakeable.

But then, the vocalist and recorded material sounded fine, still. (Whew!) I switched to my fretless for the night, and it sounded fine, although, it leant everything a fusion-elevator-music sound, IMO :) So where was the problem?

Afterwards, I took the time, and traced it to... a new instrument cable with one 90-degree adapter I had just bought. It turns out that that particular plug didn't completely lock in 100% tight into the Fishman Full Circle socket. And, that little bit of vibration (inaudible unamplified) was killing the PA.

Testing out all my cables, I found that the Fishman socket is fairly picky. And, when a cable doesn't lock in tight, it's always a 90-degree plug...

2. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    what kind of cable was it? I know if someone has a problem with the RCAto1/4 adaptor on the RS it is either a Planet Waves or a Monster that was the culprit. Seems the Planet Waves is just a wee bit short, and the Monster is a wee bit thin.

Whacha got?

3. Brennan

Brennan

Sep 29, 2004
    San Francisco
    You must have borrowed my ghost that night. He's usually busy making an amp go out on a gig only to be fine the next day, shorting cables then fixing them, or making pickups crackle for no reason. He doen't do backing tracks though.