1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WEIRD NOISE FROM MY AMP??? HELP!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JEDI BASS, Feb 21, 2008.

1. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    My Carvin B1500 started making a noise in the middle of a song, last night. It did it 4 or 5 times during practice. The only thing that would make it quit was cycling power on the amp. Same outlet, same practice space, same bass, brand new (but used several times) Monster bass instr cable, nothing's changed recently except for this new problem. It sounded like I'd unplugged my cable from my bass and was handling the chord's end.

Anyone have any idea what this is???

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    MAYBE you have an intermittent short in your guitar cable, your guitar jack or the amp input. first try a different shielded cable, if that wasn't it try wiggling your plug while it is in your guitar and at the amp.

3. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks Mcrelly but that's not it. Tried all that stuff. It's definitely coming from the amp. Called Carvin, they gave me some suggestions. I've gotta take it apart and reseat the ribbon cable ends, and look for anything obvious....burnt looking stuff, so-to-speak. If all else fails they'll fix it for a flat $275. But that's more than half what I paid for it (it's used), so that's a last resort.

I'm still looking for advice from any and all....

4. Sounds to me like you are losing the ground connection at one end of your signal cable. Try looking at the output jack of your bass to mage sure it is grounding properly. Failing that when you take the covers off the amp re-solder the PCB around the amps input jacks. Make sure you unplug the amp before you open it up and be very careful what you are doing.

Paul

5. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    ...just thought that seemed important:)

6. Hell Bob I'm deaf not blind!!!! :)

Paul

7. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks for the advice, guys. The Carvin tech believes since cycling power to the amp was the only immediate fix, all other possibilties (bass jack, cable, input jack on amp) are ruled out, leaving only internal amp issues to investigate.

I've been out of town, and I hope to take it apart today or tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll look at local repair options. If I can find an affordable small repair business, I may be able to get it looked at/repaired reasonably.

I just sold my backup amp which had been with me for 15 years, problem free. :mad: I knew I was making a mistake!