1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Weird open E sound

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JRNV, Jan 9, 2012.

1. JRNV

JRNV

Jan 9, 2012
    Hey guys,

I've just bought a Fender Blacktop Jazz Bass after lurking on here for a while and getting some info on all sorts of basses.

However, now I've played my bass guitar at home, I started noticing something strange when playing an open E string. Best I can describe is it sound like it has a very subtle chorus effect on there. Anyone know if this is normal and if not, how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

2. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Only open string? Weirdness gone, with fretted notes?

I'm guessing: the string is rattling very slightly, in the nut slot. Test that theory by putting your left hand finger on the string on top of the nut; pluck string with right hand.

Weirdness gone?

If that's it, see if the wrap on the E string is too high on the post to hold the string in the slot. Loosen string tension; push wrap down on the post and hold; bring up to pitch.

3. DanHB18

DanHB18

May 4, 2010
    Tennessee
    I've also noticed this before on my Jaguar but thought it was just due to the midrange frequency bump. Maybe not.

Edit- The above seemed to work for me. Thanks

4. Ewo

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Thinking... :meh:

EQ wouldn't affect only the open note. And neither would a bad string.

Edit: glad it worked for ya!

5. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Sounds like a twisted string. Unwind the string from the peg and rewind it. If that doesn't solve it, your pickup could be set a tad too high and causing the magnets to interfere with string vibration. Lower the pickup. If it's neither of these things, I would try a different set of strings.
    This exact thing just happened on one of my basses yesterday. It was just a twisted string but I've also had the pickup issue in the past.

6. DanHB18

DanHB18

May 4, 2010
    Tennessee
    Just for future reference, it wasnt only the open E on my part, it was all the way up the string, but became more obvious near the 12th fret and up, as the pitch became higher.

7. Ewo

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Problems with the nut slot don't affect any notes but the open string.

I'm guessing the pickup's too close to the string, or the string's gone bad.

Never thought about a string being "wound up" as it's installed. (Mellowgerman's post, above.) Worth trying: loosen string, remove from post (see if has any tendency to untwist, as you do); reinstall.

8. DanHB18

DanHB18

May 4, 2010
    Tennessee
    All I can say is it's gone here.

9. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    definitely sounds like a twisted string

10. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

+1 Twisted string....curse of my bass playing existence since day one

11. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

For a twisted string, just loosen it enough that you can push the ball out of the tail to release twist. Then bring it to pitch and witness point the string again. It's a good practice to do this every time you change strings.

12. JRNV

JRNV

Jan 9, 2012
    Thanks for the help guys. I've tried everything mentioned here and it was indeed a twisted string. I only noticed it on an open E, but fretted notes seemed to improve also when I untwisted it.