Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weird Overtones? Due to set up maybe?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by groveofbass, Jan 24, 2005.

1. I posted my same problem in the strings section but got no replies and i saw a few people had a similar occurence in the Set up department. So here i am.

I recently bought and strapped on a set of tapered DRs. Afterwards i had to raise my bridge hieght to accomodate the tapered end. Afterwards when i played a note, there was a weird harmonic overtone to any fretted note that made the bass sound like i had a bad chorus effect on it. Ill also note that there was a signifigantly tighter string tension on all the strings. Has this happened to anyone else? What might be causing this?

thank you,
    dan

2. shikee

shikee

Dec 26, 2002
    dallas, tx
    my stingray did the same thing after swapping strings to a heavier guage and it was actually the string buzzing of off the pole pieces for the pickup ... lowered my pickup and it was all good after that

3. i could try that...i emailed DR and they didnt know what to think so they offered to send me a new set...i dont know if theyre going to its been almost two weeks since i heard from them last....i have since taken the taper's off and when back to my old strings to solve it. ill give them a try again after my next gig.

4. It could be that the pickups' pole pieces are attracting the string and causing a warble in every note, especially higher up the neck. The string isn't free to sway back and forth due to the force of attraction. Try lowering your pickups a little.

5. Dan,
    It could be the pickups if they are super-close to the strings. That's definately something to check.
    If this new set is a lighter or heavier gauge, it might be your truss rod in your neck. I've noticed some really weird sounds and intonation problems when I have too much bow or relief in the neck. The strings also feel like they have much more tension if they are just a touch higher than they were before.
    When I don't have enough relief in my neck, I noticed tinny sounds as I fret notes. Sounds like fret noise, even though no strings are buzzing.
    Just a few things to think about.

Mag...

6. i put one of the tapered strings back on and lowered my pick ups, they could barely go any lower than they were... now they are as low as they can possibly go, and its still happening. Its worse on the higher frets.