1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weird Overtones - Help needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emanresu, Aug 2, 2007.

1. emanresu

emanresu

Aug 2, 2007
    My Mexican Fender Jazz has a problem - when I play the open E string I get some really strange overtones that are loud.
    Its like I get an Eb harmonic on top of the the E-note. :( The pickups pick it up too!

I've done some research around here and thought that putting some foam to the pickup holes where the nails go would fix it but it didnt. I guess the problem is with the bridge or the nut. Both look fine though! The bass is strung correctly and I have plenty of room between the strings and the pickups and intonation is good. My action is pretty low.

Does the talkbass community know how I could get rid of this problem? :help:

2. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Tried different strings?
    Checked the nut?
    Only on open E?

3. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    <Stupid question alert> You are muting all the other strings when you hear this, right?

Nails?

4. I about tossed my current set ofstrings away, when I first installed them the overtonese drove me crazy. I know like them and all is well.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

5. You sometimes get rattling of the springs in the bridge. My ATK used to do that and it does get quite annoying!

6. akin to vic

akin to vic

Mar 8, 2007
    another frequent issue is getting rattling off of the tuners. Make sure they are tight.

7. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Has it always done this? Has changing strings changed anything? A bad string can do this sort of thing.

8. emanresu

emanresu

Aug 2, 2007
    I tried changing the E-string with an older one but the overtones are still there. They are less pronounced though!

The nut seems fine.

Yup. Also its more pronounced when I play on the bridge pup..

Yeah.

Im sorry but English isnt my first language! I mean the nails that you put down with the screwdiver :smug:

But the strings are about 2 months old :meh:

Ive experianced this too. Not the case this time though.

Nope, thats not it either.

Its really hard to pinpoint where the annoying noise is coming from because it echoes within the body..

Changing an older string helped the problem but didnt remove it. Im not sure if it has always done it.. I think not, though its possible that my listening has improved.

9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Is your bass intonated properly?

10. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    That wouldn't make any difference to an open string.

My advice is to restring it with new strings and see where that gets you. Always check the simple stuff first.

11. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    If you are getting harmonics or overtoines try lowering the pickup that will cause what you are describing

12. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    If you haven't already, try strings with silk ends.