1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Weird Peavey

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Hambone, May 26, 2003.

1. I recently went over to the darkside and purchased an inexpensive 5 string. I'm a devout 4 banger but needed a 5 for an upcoming project.

I purchased a new Peavey "Grind 5" NTB. Beautiful bass, killer tone, and a real mystery to boot. When I was playing it at the shop, I got the idea that it was a 35" scale and measured it on the counter to be exactly that...a 35" scale. Later, I saw a Peavey catalog with the same bass but it was advertised as 34" :confused: Then a friend showed me his correspondence with Peavey about the Grind 5 and they adamantly maintain that it's a 34" scale and that Milestone and Cirrus basses are the only ones in 35"!? To add to the mystery, this bass doesn't have a serial number. Hmmm?

Anybody got a take on this?

BTW - Neck measures 17½" from witness point on nut to 12th fret. Strings are intonated where the saddles are 35"+ from the nut. I don't know any other way to measure it.

2. I remember the Accelerator and G-bass 5's were both 35in - peavey seemed keen on extra long scale for their 5's.

but maybe it's a prototype that mysteriously got through to the shops?

3. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Well, if the Grind NTB's I ordered ever come into stock, I'd be happy to measure for you. IF they ever come in...;)

4. I got an email from Peavey Custom Service and they offer an apology for the confusion. They explained that the 5 string Grind 5's have a 35" scale but the 4's have a 34". Peavey has had the wrong info on their website and in their published literature.

The serial number thing was explained - numbers on these basses are on a sticker on the headstock and not engraved. That screws me cuz I can't register this instrument without a serial number:(