1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

weird phase sound on ibanez atk

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassBastard, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Hi there, the topic says it all... My atk is producing a weird sound, like a phaser is on. This happens on all strings but much more on the B and E strings...and I also hear it playing acoustically :confused: Do you have any idea of what it could be? I'm noticing more now as the strings are dying than when they were new. Thanks

2. Are your pups too high?
    Can you hear the "phaser" when it's unplugged at all?

3. Yap, the phaser sound is still there when playing unplugged :confused: really weird huh? I'll change strings tomorrow just to make sure it's not that.

4. My guess is the strings. Otherwise, take a look at how much play (side to side) is on each string on each saddle and on each nut slot.

5. This often happens if the strings have a twist(!) in them - usually if they have been taken off and put on again for whatever reason.

Have you taken them off recently?

6. Nop, I bought the bass used and still haven't changed strings. It didn't do this when I got it so I must have done something. I did loosen the strings to adjust the truss rod...maybe that was it. The strings go through the body and I've noticed that the strings make a curve and someone told me that's a bad thing. I'll try to take pictures.

7. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Wondering why you haven't changed the strings on the Bass?
    It's the first thing I do when buying any new or used bass; your problem will most likely go away....

Mike