Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weird phone..creepy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Oct 14, 2004.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    This just happened a few minutes ago, and it was a little bit creepy, so I thought I'd post to share.

My brother, who was sitting right next to me, picked up the cordless phone and pushed the ON button to call a friend. Before he dialed, he noticed there was no dial tone, and some talking and sounds in the background. He handed me the phone, and I listened for about 30 seconds. It was two people talking, a man and a woman I think. I couldn't really understand what they were saying, but I heard some strange background sounds like a drum or someone banging on something. Then, there was a beep, and the dial tone came back. It was eerie because it is only my brother and myself that are at home, so it couldn't have been someone using the other line.

Vince

2. Flanders

Flanders

Oct 30, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Wow, the voices were probably ghosts from the future...

3. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Or maybe someone calling you, but your brother picked it up before it could ring.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Most likely you were just picking up your neighbors' conversation on their cordless phone. Happens all the time...just press the button that changes channels.

brad cook

5. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Hey trip on this one...

Last year I was sitting at the comp. desk at my old house in North Hills, which had a portable phone/base on the desktop. My ex-flame from up here (Bakersfield) calls me and this is at the point where I scored some better looking booty, so I pretty much hang-up about a minute into the conversation.

For the next hour ALL of her cell phone calls get re-directed to my house! She calls and tells me not to pick up my own phone! Yeah right, I could care less about her crap service/problem, and it is MY house so I'm picking up (I was expecting a call to get picked up from a friend)

Her sister keeps calling me, asking to speak to her. I explain the situation, AND SHE THINKS I'M AT HER HOUSE UP HERE AND I'M HOLDING HER HOSTAGE OR SOMETHING WHILE ANSWERING HER CELL PHONE!!! She then threatens to call the cops! I was real upset, my adrenaline was about to shoot out my nose. I had to tell the skank to call her sister to chill, since I have a warrant. I tell ya, I'm just waiting for my anuerysm any day.

6. Brat

Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    One time, I called my friend and was talking and then I had to go. The second I hang up, the phone rings, so I answer. It was a busy signal. I was like ***?! so I hung up. Then my friend calls me back and says she tried to call me again right after I we hung up, but got a busy signal. Weird.

7. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I would talk to people on the phone and I'd hear some noise in the back and it kept happening for a while. So we both stopped talking and it was an AM radio station. Hasn't happened in a while though.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    weird....when i pick up my phone, i get a dial tone.

-Mike

9. Maybe it was a flaw in the phone sercates or something and your line somehow got messed up with another line... not quite sure if that's possible but hey...

Or

You have only several days to live until you will be bitterly murdered by some sick dead thing that will come out of you TV.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive had my phone pick up other people having phone sex.

Fun.

11. Did you join in or did you interupt or did you run or did you get a new phone service or did you go into hiding or did you ask who it was or did you just sit in silence and listen for awhile or did you realize it was your parents on the other end or did you finally hang up?

12. I once got a phone call that was a girl calling me for phone sex...don't know who it was, didn't sound like anyone I already knew....I have the number saved on my cell still.......

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I was talking to my girlfriend at the time and the other people couldnt hear our conersation. It took us a while to notice but when I did, I just switched phones.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I sometimes hear voices in the dial tone. I usually do what they tell me.

15. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    ...Give invisiman a bass...*insert ghostly phone noises here*

:p

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

weird again....i dialed my home number on that page, and my home phone rang. i was too scared to answer it.

-Mike

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

19. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    wierd, i'm at school but i'll have a look at that site when i get home.

crossed wires are great. once i was talking to my friend when there was a really loud robotic noise, and then everything went quite. i was just about to put the phone down, when i heard two old people talking. their conversation went like this:

old woman: "what did you do today ernie?"
    ernie: "welllll, let me see dearie, i went to sainsburies"
    old woman: "oooo ernie did you get anything nice?"
    ernie: "i got a lovely bit of fish for our tea"
    old woman: "oo thankyou ernie, i'm really looking forward to-"
    me: "I AM THE VOICE OF GOD. I AM WATCHING YOU"
    old woman: "OOOOO ernie what was that?!"
    ernie: "i don't know!!! it said it was god!!"
    me: *puts down the phone due to hysterical laughter*

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If God spoke to me in the voice of a very young lady, Id crap my pants with laughter.