Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

weird popping noise

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jay, Apr 14, 2001.

1. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    OK, whatever mod reads this, feel free to move it to where it is supposed to go, cuz I have no clue where to post this.

Anyway, back to my problem. In the past few days, after I've been playing a couple hours or so, a funny thing happens. Whenever I hit my E or B string not really hard but anything except soft, I get a weird snapping/popping noise that comes through the amp. If I let it continue, the snap/pop continues over and over and doesn't stop and it sounds like machine gunshots or something. I think it could be the pup, but I'm not at all for certain. It started, I believe, after I left my bass plugged in for maybe 15 min. with the amp off while I went to go do something. I have active pups if that's any help. So...anyone have a clue what this is and how to fix it? HELP!!!!!

2. well, I would guess that it just needs new batteries (since you have active pups) :)

if that´s not it, I would put my money on the speaker in the amp...

3. Our guitar player had that problem one night at a gig. It turned out to be interference from his cell phone that he had placed on top of his amp. When he moved the phone the popping went away. I put my cell phone on my bass amp to see if it would do the same thing and sure enough my amp started popping. (By the way both cell phones were turned on). My not be the problem in your case but something to look out for in the future.

4. My old amp used to do that whilst i was playing. it'd get so bad i would have to turn the amp off and then let it sit for a bit. I got my uncle to check it out and it was found the pre-amp stage had died. The electrolitics (capacitors) had started to leak cause open circuit. If all the above post suggestions haven't worked, get a electronics technician to look at it.

Merls

5. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Hey ya'll...thanx for the replies. I know for certain that it's the bass, not the amp, cuz I've played on several amps and it has done the same thing. Best match to the problem would probably be the battery thing. I can just use a regular 9v right? I've never had to replace it. Thanx again.

6. yes, a 9v should do it... :)

but about cell phones interference... I thought that would come only if you were talking on the phone (or receiving sms)... that is, if it is sending signals from it...

I never get any interference from it while I´m not talking on it.... it´s nice to have the interference, then you hear when someone´s calling you... :)

7. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Aight, twas the battery. All fixed. Thanks ya'll. :D

8. Ahh tis often the simplest thing heh?

Merls

9. Yes merls, it is. Like my screwed up cable. Hehehe...
    Anyway, to the comment about cell phones...I leave mine on my amp all the time, and the only time any odd noises come out of the amp are when there's an incoming call or message or something. Maybe that has something to do with the PCS/GSM (or whatever the different operating...system...things...are between the US and the rest of the world. :p) but I dunno.
    Or maybe I'm just using a much better cell phone. :D:p