Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weird Practise Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by low_boy, Mar 19, 2005.

1. low_boy

low_boy

Mar 11, 2005
    Birmingham
    Greetings All, I made a pilrimage to the Good Will store today to drop off some household items and of course I had to browse while I was there.

I noticed a small powered Yamaha Subwoofer from a cheapo surroud sound system for $10. I decided it might be a good size for a small bedroom practise amp. Having gotten it home and tried it out I can't say it's going to replace an "official" amp but it just may work out for a fairly low volume alternative to wearing headphones. It seems to reproduce the notes on my 4 string down to low E ok. With no horn it's not a slappers practise amp!

Anyone else tried something like this?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i did plug into some powered subwoofer using a radio shack adapter to plug my 1/4" cord into an rca input jack on the sub. the sound was - muffled (the sub wont do abover 150 hz) but did have kind of a super reggae vibe. worked as a practice amp for sure, i'd never gig with it. hey for 10 bucks, ya did good. ;)