1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weird Problem with GHS Progressives

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    I recently put GHS Progressives (40-100) on my Geddy. The E string has a contact core, so I readjusted the E string saddle.

The E string sounds magnificent below the 5th fret. But above the 5th, it sounds under-defined and muddy. The other strings sound fantastic all over the fingerboard. At first, I thought the E string was too close to the pickups. Well, the pickup height is normal: about 3.2 mm between the pole pieces and the E string when pressed at the last fret. What could be the problem?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Could be that there is too much core exposed. It shouldn't extend much past the saddle hopefully.

3. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I'd try taking the string off, wiping it down well, with an alcohol wipe. Then put it back on the bass, careful to not twist the string. If that doesn't cure it, I'd ask GHS for a new string. I love progressives, you may have gotten a dud string.

4. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    PM me your address and I'll make sure we get you a "proper" E string. I use Progessives pretty regularly (have a set on my Streamer LX 6 right now), and I am using the upper register of the E string all the time with no issue.

5. Once again, GHS Official is "On The Ball"

You guys rock.

6. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    PM sent,

I never expected to directly hear from GHS on TalkBass. Amazing customer support!! Very impressed!!

7. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Jon of GHS sent me a replacement E string AND a new set of the Progressives! Amazing customer service. The replacement E string sounds awesome (so something was wrong with the previous one).

With the Progressives, my Geddy Jazz + GK MB500 sounds like the low register of my Kawai grand piano. I love the tone!

8. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    It was the least we could do. I'm glad they got there so quickly, and that you're back up and running!

9. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Awesome!