1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

weird problem...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bass_fish, Feb 18, 2008.

1. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    Guys help me out, I'm going nuts...

the problem is:
    my fender jazz is buzzing, but ONLY on the E notes(so open E, but also every fretted E on the fretboard) so something is obviously vibrating a long with that note...
    but I'm unable to locate it, checked the springs on the bridge(bad ass II) : nope, checked every screw: nope, checked if the other strings are vibrating a long: nope... so I'm stuck here!
    I'm using flatwounds if that might help...does anyone out here know what I should check? or what the problem is?

thanx...

2. Hi, bass_fish.

I've found the truss rod to be often the source of such a symphatetic resonance as it's a kind of a torsion bar under tension, so it has a specific resonant frequency. You might want to give the truss rod nut a nudge to either direction to see if that's the case.

If it's not that, I'd suggest a stethoscope in the troubleshooting, might make things easier to locate.

Regards.
    Sam

3. Also check the tuners. If it's a mexican jazz the tuners they have tend to loosen up. You may be able to tighten them, but I replaced mine with vintage style reverse Gotohs. They hold tune perfectly and look much cooler besides.

4. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I found once that the string was too small for the nut filing slot and rattled within it. Instead of getting a new nut, I used a small zip tie and tied it to the next string. It does'nt bother me enough to replace the nut, but I may eventually. If you went to smaller flats, that may be the culprit.

5. Try putting a little pressure on the E-string behindthe nut, if this helps the buzz, you have cut you E-string short or you have it wound on the tuner wrong. Start at the top and go down, at least three wraps.

6. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Howdy!

This link will add to what Rumblejohn has said.....
    http://www.workshoplive.com/player/tips.cfm

7. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    thanx guys...
    tuners where replaced a long time ago... so they are not the problem(allready tried tightening them)
    wrapping around the E string post is not the problem, all ready tried that... and the vibrating is on every E note, not just the E string
    also tried the trussrod thing: nope no fix...

it's not coming through the amp, that's a relieve but most of the time I practise without an amp, just noodling around, to lazy to plug in...

edit: allready replaced the nut... first thing I did, thought that was the fix, I was wrong...

8. SweBass

SweBass

Jul 28, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Could it be your amp? Or something near the amp that's buzzing? If I have my amp too close to my entertainment center, the door on the entertainment center vibrates, and makes a buzzing noise everytime I play an A (I think). Just a thought.

9. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Same thing happened to me a while back with the E on my sixer, buzz on every single note even past the 24th fret (I used a slide and checked up to the 3rd octave), and nobody could tell me what was going on, though a cello player friend of mine said it could have something to do with the string itself unwinding in some place. Apparently it happens in the orchestral scene on occasion, you just get a bad string.

I changed the strings and it immediately went away.

10. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    yeah I'm kinda lost here... it's playable, the "buzzing" is not coming from the amp....
    tried a different string: no luck...

as soon as I have money I'm gonna see a luthier I guess...

and on top of it all: my macbook(8 months old) died on me... :bawl: hard drive failure, always fun... luckily apple is fixing it for me under warranty, but it still sucks and being a student, I really need that thing...

11. Might as well be something in the electronics compartment, my battery compartment rattles and comes open easily, so until I get to replace it, a piece of duct tape takes care of that.

12. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    battery compartment is stuffed with foam... and I got the same rattle after I took out the whole electronic compartment...

so most obvious now would be the trussrod I guess... but tightening or loosening it doesn't make a different(and yes it still works, so it's not broken)

13. You might try to slap the back of the neck with your hand to find out if the trussrod clatters inside the neck, or put your ear against the neck while you play an E.

14. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    hmm so what if it is the truss rod? tightening or loosening it doesn't make a difference...

I can hear it even when I play harmonics, so it's obviously vibrating on the same frequency...

15. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    yes, that description is correct...

16. Hi.

I repaired a loose truss rod back in the 80's by squirting really fluid silicone sealant to the channel. That was a CRAP bass so there was nothing to loose and it did work indeed. I don't recommend You to try it though, can also ruin the neck pretty fast.

Is the neck construction sturdy enough to loosen the truss rod all the way and tune the bass to normal tuning? That way the resonant frequency of the rod is eliminated completely. If the resonance is still there, the problem lies somewhere else.

One possible source of the buzz is the neck to body junction. Loosening and tightening one screw at a time can sometimes help. But usually there's only one frequency with high enough amplitude to be strong enough to cause problems.

Also strap-locks can cause unwanted rattle sometimes, but it's not pitch related IME.

Do post the result when You find it, that will help a lot of people.

Regards
    Sam

17. kvane

kvane

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Washington
    Have you tried having the frets filed a little? Or is it just bodily rattle and not string rattle? A lot of newly and poorly made basses have their frets often unevened across the neck. If the geometry of the instrument is off just right...

18. I had a very similar problem with a Jazz once.A buzz on certain notes it sounded as if it was the truss rod.Turned out,one of the elephant ears had loosened in it's mounting.Drove me mad for days!

19. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    like the silicone idea, but no way I'm trying that ;)

straplocks indeed cause a lot of rattling, that's why I take them of when I'm practicing, but like you said: it's rattle all the time, not just one frequency...

I'm using flats with a lot of tension, so I'm not even gonna try to take the full tension off of the trussrod and tune it up to pitch, think that that action will give me a heart-attack...

it's a bodily rattle, not a string rattle, I only get those when I play hard, and the difference is pretty obvious, those can be avoided but so far I haven't even figured this one out, this is as annoying as a 60cycle hum when you're recording if you get what I mean...

checked the tuner again, nothing loose there(but tried to turn every screw just incase...)

20. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    well I fixed it....
    definitely not string buzz, in order to fix it, I had to lower the action... so I'm still not sure what caused it in the first place, but the fix was lowering the action...