Weird purchasing situation——HELP

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TerenceE, Jul 21, 2020.

1. TerenceE

TerenceE

Dec 6, 2015
    So I finally pulled the trigger and bought a ric. Just have the urge to try one! Was all set to send payment then the guy says he sent me a PayPal request...the catch you ask? Neither party asked for or gave a PayPal address. This struck me as strange. I let it slide ask for his PayPal address and wait. I go back to check to see if he has replied and I’ve missed a bunch of calls and texts from him which included the PayPal email but also that he had shipped the bass....without having received payment. I was like wut?

so I ask for the picture of his
    Copy of the shipping label and it’s blank...possibly some slight markings and the guy says he didn’t push hard enough when he was filling out the label when I asked him why it was blank lol

Is this a scam? I still haven’t sent payment but I texted the seller and told Him my concerns as listed above but he doesn’t seem to get it. The tracking says it’s in transit but I’m nervous

what would youuuuuuu dooooo?

31HZ, PennyroyalWe and Guild B301 like this.
  2. You CAN’T be too careful in this situation. He may be legitimately overly trusting, and has already sent it.
    He may have made up the story.
    Or, he may have sent you a box full of styrofoam.
    The worst that can happen now, is that you get the bass, and he has a bad opinion of you.
    On the other hand, if you send him the money ahead of getting it, and it turns out to be a scam, you will never get your money back. Just wait to see what arrives in the box, (if it ever does), and, - IF everything is good, pay him then. The worst that can happen in that case, is that he’ll think you should have paid him quicker.
    I’ve sold a lot of gear online, and his actions are highly suspect.

3. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Yep, he overstepped by sending too quickly, i too would wait and see, you've made contact...job done on your end till time to make payment

Frunobulax and TerenceE like this.
  4. TerenceE

TerenceE

Dec 6, 2015
    I kinda feel like an untrusting ass but I’ve bought ALOT of gear online and never had someone ship without payment clearing first. Unheard of!

Sands, sludgetail, MattZilla and 10 others like this.
  5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Just curious, What's the tracking list as the weight of the package?

6. mike57

mike57

Feb 12, 2009
    Our Fair City, MA
    Do NOT send any money until your 'ric' arrives.

Send him a crappy picture of a weakass check that can barely be read if he pushes you for money.

Poll every member of TB and see how many would send a bass before getting paid.

7. TerenceE

TerenceE

Dec 6, 2015
    as I said, the pic is basically blank. The tracking number shows it’s in transit now though. It should be hear tomorrow so I’m inclined to wait till it arrives. I told the seller how I felt and that assuming he was on the up and up I’d send his money as soon as I got it and it was in my hands. I have no interest in either ripping or being ripped off by anyone!

8. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    I almost got scammed with someone using Paypal.
    DO NOT send money until you get the bass. If they sent you an invoice, call paypal with the 800 number on the paypal website not on an invoice he sent to verify if it's legit......

Reedt2000 and TheReceder like this.
  9. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    I hope not, but .....
    You're scammed.
    Empty box, and he's gonna hit you for non-payment.
    My daughter had this done to her without even a package sent on FB.
    Took weeks to straighten it out.
    All she did was inquire about the item and the girl said she sold it to her.

RattleSnack likes this.
  10. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Hmm, usually if you can pull up a tracking number, it will have info listed including weight. Who is the supposed shipper? The big 3 always show weight.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    My online buying and selling predates paypal when SOP was don’t ship until payment was in hand and verified legit so i’d hope there was some miscommunication on the sellers end and wait until i had the item in hand and certified legit before i’d pony up. Keep your emails and any other communication associated with the transaction in case you need them, but outside that i wouldn’t sweat it (or pay) until until i had proof in hand.

12. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    And take video of you opening the box, if you ever receive anything that is.

13. TerenceE

TerenceE

Dec 6, 2015
    Seller doesn’t have my email PayPal info nothing. My shipping address which isn’t even where I live. Hasn’t shown up as of today and the usual info available is not there because it’s shipped on a manual weighbill so I get my employee discount. It is shipped purolator(I’m in Canada) so I know when it shows up as I have it shipped to the purolator depot where I work

should be two days from Toronto. That’s today. If it doesn’t show up by Friday I’m pretty sure he attempted to scam
    Me

guess we will see what happens

14. Seems all the basses are covered in the responses already. If it was me I'd wait for whatever he sent, if anything, to arrive. If you're getting harassed by the seller for the payment I'd just explain the whole thing reeks of a scam.

When nothing arrives, he'll have nothing to follow up on.

If you get a box in the mail, video the process of opening, is it the bass, iis it what you expected, and the price was right? Then I would reach out to the seller and make things right with him.

TerenceE, mike57 and Guild B301 like this.
  15. TerenceE

TerenceE

Dec 6, 2015
    Like I said. I have no intention of ripping anyone off or being ripped off. When it shows up I’ll send the payment. 2k Canadian for an 04 fire glow ric with a mono gig bag and a couple of pedals isn’t dirt cheap but it’s a good price.

have to wait and see what happens I guess

16. gbazinet

gbazinet

Aug 11, 2010
    Maine
    I'm hoping this works out for you but it does SEEM a bit fishy at face value. Sorry if i missed it but how did you find the bass? Facebook Marketplace? I believe some profiles contain feedback stats. You might be able to see if they have bought and sold before.

17. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    You both mistake.

Charlzm likes this.
  18. TerenceE

TerenceE

Dec 6, 2015
    kijiji.

gbazinet likes this.
  19. Relsom

Relsom

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Yeah, I get that some folks might get super impatient to unload those RICs...... just kidding.
    I'm wondering though if the seller lucked out by correctly assuming that your PP ID is the same as your email address and blindly sent you the invoice.
    Can't be too sure these days. I had a transaction go sideways this last Monday on, ironically, a RIC I'm selling. Local Craigslist deal. Price was agreed on and the buyer asked to come over for a demo. I was ok with that but up until this point I had no way of identifying the dude. I asked for a name and a phone number, but he said he doesn't give out personal info. I don't invite people over without knowing a little bit about them. Long story short....never heard from the guy again.
    Good news is I avoided all that seller's remorse stuff...
    Hope you get the bass you're expecting... and promptly pay the guy. Might want to screw with him just a little to teach him a lesson though.. lol.

Ever Wire, Qlanq and Huw Phillips like this.
  20. TerenceE

TerenceE

Dec 6, 2015
    he never got any email or PayPal info therefore never sent me a request.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021