Weird question - but bass players are smart

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Introvox, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    A friend of mine had an accident today (hit a rock cut) and he says the steering went completely veering him into the the ditch, but the steering now works.

Is it possible that the steering went, and then came back? or is he just giving me the same story as his insurance agent?

I think it's a Jeep YJ
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Dude, you don't want want psychic. Check in a drummer forum.

brad cook
  3. And if you go there looking for smart, you'll be disappointed.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Now, back to the question.

I believe its not possible that it was the steering.
    It might have been a punctured wheel, though, that causes things like this - suddenly you loose control of the vehicle, but it has nothing to do with the steering, so if you replace the punctured tyre, it will be working properly once again
  5. I'm coming at it from the same angle as Mutantbassist.

If you friend was driving without a firm grip on the wheel, hitting a stone on the road could have caused the steering to be wrenched round, and he could have hit the dirt before he could correct it. However, I am not sure how feasible that is if it was a heavy 4x4 with power steering.
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's illogical Captain Kirk. One of the car nuts will come along any minute and tell you why I'm right.
  7. It sounds like there may have been some oil or something on the road that made the front tyres lose their grip. The front wheels could turn with no effect on the direction but when the tyres grip the road again the car would just turn wherever the wheels are pointed.
  8. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    It is possible for the water pump to have crapped out. Does he notice a strange squealing sound? A busted water pump can stop the accessory belt from turning, and if it goes to the PS, then it would have failed as well. This can cause the driver to understeer and veer off the road if the steering isn't negotiated properly.
  9. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003

Tom: "I think you have a loose nut behind the wheel!"

Ray: "What my brother is, so cleverly, trying to explain is..."
  10. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Car "nut" ??!!!?? Please, let's exercise some PC here. We prefer "motorhead" or or "gearhead". :eyebrow: :D :D
  11. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Well until slang becomes global, I'll speak like everyone alse in my country thankyou :)
  12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    And we'll have to use the link in your sig. ;)
  13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    "Here, hold my beer and watch this..................."
  14. bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    said, the redneck before he was brutally killed."