Weird question, can you get married twice?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PollyBass, Feb 2, 2004.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Alrighty, this is for a friend. (and money ;))

Now, lets say, a couple wanted to , er, do something. But in their minds, they would NOT do it, unless they were married. Now, they don't want to rush anything, because they have a big wedding sometime down the line, but it's kinda hard to hold in feelings...

If they ran down to the justice of the peace, and got married, could they get married again later down the road, without anyone knowing of the prior marrige?

(If OT mods think I need to take out the " Er, do something" part, just take it out, or let me know.)
  2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003

People do it all the time.
  3. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    well i did the opposite of that i do not want to get into details but there were some legal issues behind this...we had a huge wedding planned and things happen and we couldn't get married (legally) so we went along with the ceramony (the reverend was a family friend so he was cool about it) it was great and no one knew the difference..a month later we made it official
  4. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    when I was in the Army, I knew tons of guys who got married "secretly" so that they could have benefits for their spouses....and then have the actual ceremony/event many months (or a few years) later. So...I guess it just depends on who you want to know and how well they can keep your confidence.
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't marriage ceremonies just that anyway? a ceremony, but not actually the OFFICIAL thing, like when the pastor says "I know pronounce you man and wife" your marriage becomes valid religiously but not legally, that gets taken care of shortly after.

so, in theory, if you had your marriage LEGALLY taken care of before hand, the religious ceremony wouldn't 'marry you twice' it'd just make it official in your religions eyes. eh?

well, there are non-religious ceremonies too, I don't know what your friend follows, personally, I'm not religious, but that doesn't mean I can't have a ceremony to celebrate getting married ya know?

eh...what do I know, I'm only 18 and don't intend on getting hitched any time soon.
  6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, most of the time, the justice of the peace that signs the wedding,,er,, thingy, is also the person that does the ceremony.
  7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

Well, there would be records of the first marriage - but they wouldn't have to tell their friends and family. And if they wanted to get married now and then get married again later on down the line, they'd need an annulment or divorce in between. ;)

Fred "Rerun" Berry (who passed away last year) had been married 6 times to 4 different women, marrying two of them twice.

I am presently living with and 'dating' my ex-wife (following 4 years of divorce and being apart)

So remember, be careful what you say when you break up with somebody. Just because you think it's over… ;)
  8. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    PollyBass: What makes you think that you can't do it?
  9. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It's always possible to have separate oaths first and then the big bit more free-form ceremony with guests afterwards. But is giving the oaths in secret any better than premarital sex, then?

You could always talk with the performer of the ceremony what he thinks about it.

I've always wanted to get married at the Little White Chapel or what the place in Vegas is first, just because it's so cheesy, and then have the proper ceremony for friends and family when we get back home :)
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

He just wants to stand up at the "big" ceremony - at the point where they say "..and if any man knows why these two shoud not be joined in holy matrimony, let him speak now or forever hold your peace"

and say :

"Wellll......." :D
  11. Sure you can. The ceremony they have at churches is really just a rediculously expensive social event proceeded by a bachelor party and followed by hospitalizations of your friends and family due to alcohol poisoning and/or fistfights. All you need to get hitched is a justice of the peace, the parties getting married, and a hobo you "hired" for a bottle of Nighttrain as a witness.