1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weird question regarding driving into the sun

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, Dec 4, 2018.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I do a lot of driving in a work van. I usually leave at sunup and come back at sundown (particularly on short, winter days).

So the sun is burning my eye sockets and melting my neck and chest all the time.

I can't mod the van because it doesn't belong to me.

Being mildly claustrophobic, things around my neck bug the crap out of me.

I wear angler sleeves on my arms to keep my skin from being exposed to UV too much. But my neck and chest get hot a lot. The visor usually covers halfway down my face. If I put the visor low enough to really block the sun it also blocks my vision.

When I wear darks shirts (almost every day) it's particularly bad.

Any suggestions?

2. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Here ya go...
    512m89o0OeL._UX679_.

rufus.K, TOOL460002, JRA and 5 others like this.
  3. latest?cb=20160409020502.

JRA, G-Z, pcake and 3 others like this.
  4. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ha!

Funny you bring that up. My beard is longer than it's ever been, and still isn't very long. I usually go with the "just beyond stubble" look.

I'm not sure what kind if SPF my beard would have though. :D

5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Don't car windows block a lot of the UVA/B rays (not all, but a lot)? Or is it the blinding light that is the concern?

6. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I suppose it depends on where you live, but driving a van in a fake beard and sunglasses (or any disguise) at sunrise and sunset may arise some suspicion ;)

rufus.K, Inky13, Munjibunga and 4 others like this.
  7. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Sunglasses.
    And a dash-mounted fan...with a water spray. Don't have time to look now but my Florida family have them in their cars.
    Google them.

two fingers likes this.
  8. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I don't know if newer vehicles do that. But this 2001 van certainly doesn't. I started wearing the sleeves because my arms were getting dark driving this thing.

MattZilla likes this.
  9. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    A hat with a brim is more easily adapted (than a windshield visor) to block the sun while seeing the road unless you are in that pesky position where the two are directly lined up with no space between them for a few minutes.

Relocating so that you live East of where you work means the sun will be behind you both ways, not in front. :D I learned in college that getting up early to drive there (several hundred miles from home, not a daily commute) was worth doing even though I was not (am not) a morning person as it meant I'd have the sun at my back and overhead, rather than overhead and boring into my eyeballs as I headed West if I left later.

MattZilla likes this.
  10. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Actually, my eyes are OK. I wear amber sunglasses.

It's primarily my neck and chest that get hot. My neck bothers me the worst because it is exposed.

11. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    two fingers likes this.
  12. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Car windows, depending on many factors, will only block 40-80 percent of UV.

two fingers likes this.
  13. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    JRA and two fingers like this.
  14. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    upload_2018-12-4_9-16-13.

JRA, G-Z, Gaolee and 3 others like this.
  15. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Wear a hat, a light colored shirt and a tie. Like this guy:

Barney.

16. FWIW, in a former life, I was a window film installer, so I have a lot of random data about UVA and UVB stuck in my head.

ALL glass knocks down UVB, effectively making exposure zero. All auto safety glass since the 80's has been treated to address UVA, so you're not getting much exposure at all for either - therefore, no real issues to worry about vis-a-vis skin cancer from sun coming through the front windshield. Side windows are a different situation, but ANY window film installed kills all UV as well (it isn't actually the film that does it, there is UV inhibitor in the adhesive - oddly enough).

Here's a bit of data:

Sun Hazards in Your Car - SkinCancer.org

As for comfort and vision issues, I'm with you on those, and we have almost identical situations (since we live within what....100 miles of each other? :) ). I find using my visor and a good pair of POLARIZED sunglasses (in my case, clip-ons) helps deal with most of the "sun in my damn eyes!" issues (...that's a STUPID place to put the sun! :spit: ); dealing with the discomfort of heating is more tricky, but I keep my a/c pointed in my face (or vents in winter), and that seems to help.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

JRA, MattZilla and two fingers like this.
  17. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Nip it! Nip it in the bud!

18. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    passenger vehicles are less unlikely to have UV reflective film on or in their glass than commercial vehicles, particularly so as they get newer than '05MYs.

There is a somewhat healthy aftermarket for UV films that could help Twofer some.

Re: Vision- I can't speak highly enough of polarized lenses. Get them in some obnoxiously large frames and your eyes just may rejoice.

One of those 80s-90s truck visors might cut down on a good bit of the head-on rays when the sun is high, but those neck cooker angles are tough to combat without a shirt like golf polos or buttondown with collars to pop up like a 00s fratboy.

IME, those doorglass wind/rain deflectors give a little protection but ya still end up needing to lean over to the center when the sun's low.

Is there ever chance to alter your routes such that you're generally heading west in the AM and east in the PM or are you just stuck with a schedule and have to just bounce all over town?

JRA likes this.
  19. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I used to just loosely tie a light long sleeve shirt around my neck so it hangs like a bib. Or even a bandana over your chin & hanging down should work.

two fingers likes this.
  20. this upload_2018-12-4_13-9-12.

Pilgrim, MattZilla, JRA and 1 other person like this.