1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weird Rattle Behind Fretted Note

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bryan gibson, Jan 7, 2017.

1. So...I did a neck swap on an old Jazz clone this past week and am having a weird buzz in one spot. Not the normal "low/hi fret" buzz, or loose string in the nut, but actually behind the fretted note. Weirder yet, only on the "C" note, 8th fret of the E-string. Basically, hit this specific "C" and get a weird resonant rattle between the nut and the fret. Never had this happen before. What gives?

2. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    Sounds like a worn nut. To be sure, put a piece of paper under that string (at the nut). If it goes away, the nut might need replacing.

3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Back buzz. The frets behind (between fretted note and nut) are interfering. There are two common reasons for back buzz. They are backbow and popped frets.

Check the relief. Good chance that the neck is in a back bow. If it is,the remedy is to introduce some (or more) relief. If you live in a variable clime with forced air heating it is dry in the winter. So this is not all that unusual.

Failing the above, popped fret end. Glue it down with CA.

If all of this is above your pay grade, seek the assistance of a professional.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  4. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    This article shows how back buzz is related to the nut:

FRETS.COM

5. Probably the culprit here I'm guessing. I thought the nut was cut just a tad low. No real backbow in the neck, but I do run 'em with minimal relief. I'll try shimming the nut just a tad tonight when I get home just to see what happens (had to work today Aaauuuggh!!!). Thanks all :)