Weird Request: Best Octave Pedal for Vocals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by davemao, May 12, 2007.

1. davemao

davemao Guest

Mar 30, 2006
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Ok, so this my seem like a weird request, but I want to try "singing" the bass part through my effects loops and bass amp for some songs. Since my natural vocal range doesn't go quite as low as a bass guitar, I'm going to have to use an effect to modulate my voice down an octave (or two!). Can anyone give a good recommendation on an octave pedal that does a good job of tracking vocals? Also, does anyone know of any artists that do this?

Thanks,
    -Dave

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are harmonizer boxes designed specifically for vocalists, some of which are in floor-pedal format. I can't think of any specific models right now. FWIW, my very favorite octave for vocals is the DOD Meatbox. I won't call it "natural sounding", but it sure sounds awesome!

3. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    the digitech vocal 300 is a good choice.

4. davemao

davemao Guest

Mar 30, 2006
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Hehe... natural sounding isn't a problem. I'm not exactly going to be singing, just vocalizing. The box just needs to modulate my vocalization down an octave or two and feed that into the rest of the effects chain!

5. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    yeah... digitech vocal 300.

or any dedicated octaver, really. OC3, Sub-Blaster, Octron, octave multiplexer, POG....

6. dulouz

dulouz

Dec 7, 2006
    I tried a similar thing, but with saxophone. I tried a Boss OC-2 , which did not track well at all. I finally ended up with a Boss PS-3. That track very well, but the octave double was slightly delayed. I also noticed that it picked up on EVERYTHING else that was bleeding into my mic.

7. could you run vocals through any effect box?

i'd love to run it through the same stuff as my bass. it would sound really cool to hear it phasing in and out with my bass.

8. dulouz

dulouz

Dec 7, 2006
    With a mic preamp you could. What I did with saxophone was to put the pedal on a channel insert of a mixer.

9. davemao

davemao Guest

Mar 30, 2006
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Yeah, tracking is probably the issue I'm most concerned about. I've tried through my Line 6 Bass Pod and my friend's Boss ME-50B, but they both have issues with tracking and the slight delay.

10. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i'd try the digitech vocal 300.

:D

sorry... it just seems the best option.

11. I've always wanted to put my saxophone through my effects, I just never get round to getting any of the kit for it.

12. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    a trumpet player i gig with often has the vocal 400 and it works really well for the price...

13. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY

I use the Digitech VX-400 (or 300 if you don't need a recording interface), and that thing is legit. I've used other vocal octavers that I wasn't happy with, and I've used Digitech gear that was just as disappointing. However, the VX-400 is my top choice for a vocal multi for live settings. It kicks ass.

14. davemao

davemao Guest

Mar 30, 2006
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    OKay, sounds like a lot of support for the Digitech Vocal processors. I haven't been able to find any sound samples of that, but I *DID* find a sample of the DOD FX32 Meat Box, and while it was interesting, it's not exactly the effect I'm going for!

Now it's just a matter of finding a used Digitech...

15. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    :eyebrow: spanky works for digitech??? :eek:

I've eyed one of those for a long time, but it's near the bottom of my GAS list.

16. davemao

davemao Guest

Mar 30, 2006
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    REally? What about JetPackBassist, who put in 3 posts about the Digitech Vocal 300? Are there rules governing forum members shilling for the companies they work for?

17. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Whoa, I don't think Spanks said anything about working for Digitech... I doubt there is any such connection. JPB works for GC, but that just means he can sell any damn brand he likes.

18. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Notice how I worded it.

It's my top choice for a multi-effects unit for vocals in a live application.

I've used rack gear and singles for voice, but the Digitech has effects that are more than decent. It's also the easiest I've ever used live. No rack case or sound man required. I've also had a lot of problems with gain pedals and microphones. They cause terrible feedback. The Vx-3/400 are tailored for vocals, it has it's own preamp, it's easy to use, it's live/jam-friendly, you can plug instruments into it as well, and you don't need a DI (like you would if you ran your vocals through single "instrument" pedals).

In the studio, I may use something else. I may use an actual megaphone rather than the megaphone patch, and I may use a deeper, more powerful phaser. However, when I'm playing bass and singing on stage, I don't have a little man to run around and switch on rack units or to hold a megaphone in front of me at *this* exact moment in a song. As a matter of fact though, the effects of the Vx-3/400 are good enough that I would probably consider using it for the majority of effects while in the studio.

I've had to use other effects before. Like when I recorded with flange into distortion. Since the Digitech can't change effect order, I just made a distortion->flange patch for live settings which sounds just fine. I've used the "Pixelator" (which is kind of a bit crusher), and I've used the envelope filter. I've tweaked and coaxed and have gotten a lot of cool and extremely usable sounds out of it.

No, it's not an eventide. Maybe when I have a sound team to take care of everything like that for me, I'll use something really cool and expensive. I'll get that TC Helicon vocal processor and a million rack units. But this works fine for me.

Actually the only real problem I have with it is that sometimes the XLR outs can be a bit noisy. This is not something anyone would notice in a band setting or even at a live show, but you may notice it in your bedroom through headphones or a small PA or something.

It's really not a dealbreaker IMO, though.

19. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Also, you may want to look into the line of Vocalist Live Harmonizers that Digitech just launched.

They are floor-units too. You can use them while playing bass and singing without having to drop almost $1000 on that TC Helicon unit. You may wanna check it out. ;-D

Oh and, no I don't work for Digitech.

20. davemao

davemao Guest

Mar 30, 2006
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    LOL, thanks for the clarification Bongo & Spanky!

Guess I'll start hittin up my local craigslist and trolling eBay for one of these suckers.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022