1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weird, ring mod-like harmonics above the 12th fret with new strings on Mustang

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Alex Isaiah, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Alex Isaiah

Alex Isaiah

May 2, 2007
    UK
    So, I bought some Rotosounds a while ago so I could replace the strings on my CIJ Mustang.
    For about a year, I've had some long scale strings on (I later tuned them DGCF to relieve some of the tension I feared might start to pull on the neck). I forget what brand and gauge they are. I can't remember any problems when I put them on.

The Rotosounds are 40, 50, 75, 90, medium scale roundwounds.
    They sound really bright a little clattery. As I start playing right up near, and above, the 12th fret on the low E string, it produces these weird harmonics, almost like a ring-modulator. The harmonics are almost as prominent as the fundamental note.

This was a few months ago, so I took them off and put the old ones back on. Thoroughly depressing. I couldn't remember if the problem occurred on all the other strings.
    Anyway, I tried just replacing the low E again tonight and I got the same result.

I don't want to buy Rotosounds again, too bright for me.
    I'd like to switch to a lighter gauge or lighter tension set of strings. Whichever will help cure my problem (if it is the strings...).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Alex

2. Picking up a radio station maybe? That's a really weird problem...

3. Alex Isaiah

Alex Isaiah

May 2, 2007
    UK
    Nope, definitely not radio.
    I can feel slight beat frequencies between the fundamental and the unwanted harmonic.

4. Are you using a Y-cable anywhere in your signal-chain? Could it possibly be feedback?

5. the strings are haunted ;)

6. Alex Isaiah

Alex Isaiah

May 2, 2007
    UK
    No, it's just straight.
    It's the same even when playing unplugged.

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    where are you fingering / fretting? I've seen guys get odd false harmonics by the way they played...

8. patman01

patman01

Oct 25, 2007
    pickup too close to strings???

9. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    May need a truss rod adjustment. Short scales can "ring" if the truss is out.

Bob

10. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    That'd be my guess. How close is "too close" depends on the specific string, because some are more magnetically responsive than others--try lowering the pickups.

It's also much more of an issue on bright new strings, since they have lots more harmonics in the tone (which is what makes them sound bright).

Mike

11. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Is it possile youre hitting some ghost notes in there?