Weird sound coming from my tweeter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman1185, Aug 6, 2003.

1. I've got an Ampeg BA-115 (1x15 with tweeter) and it seems to be making a strange sound from the tweeter. It's a sort of fuzzy, distorted sound. The strange thing is, it doesn't do it all the time, so I don't think that the tweeter is actually blown. Anybody know what's going on?
  2. baggpuss

May 28, 2003
    Hull, UK
    really out on a limb here.....
    could be an intermitant earth problem with ya amp or bass causing high pitch interfearence......
    and that is what is called a shot in the dark:confused:
    sorry cant be of more help....

3. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Could be a bad l-pad
  4. OK, so does anybody have any idea of what I might be able to do to fix it?
  5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Piezo horns are very inexpensive and can even be bought at Radio Shack (but try Parts Express online).

These are usually all or nothing for function.

I should add that the BA115 has a lot of hiss with the horn on...a bit like listening to a seashell. Is the noise like that?

Also, you'll find a cab with a horn will let you hear stuff you never heard if you've only had a cab without one.
  6. No, I already kow about the normal hissing that the horn makes. This is a more distorted, fuzzy sound. It sounds like I'm running a little bit of fuzz through my amp.
  7. I've had exactly the same problem with the tweeter of my yorkville bm200!! It's a fuzzy sound, but ugly, with a lot of treble (I know; it's a tweeter :p ) I only hear it once in a few months and when I turn the power off and switch it back on, it's gone most of the times. I think it has something to do with earthing. For me it isn't really a problem, because it only happens once and a while. Can't help you any further, sorry :meh:
  8. Sounds like a weak battery in an active bass.

Do you hear the same fuzz through other gear?