Weird sound from cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Futterman, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Futterman

Feb 12, 2003
    I just noticed this while i was playing by myself, without my band around, i'm gettin a tinny sound coming from my horn in my ampeg 4x10. Everytime i play certain notes the thing just gives off this annoying tinngy sound and i pinpointed it to the horn in the centre of the amp, almost sounds like a washer vibrating?? not really sure.

Anyone know what this could be? I think my warrenty is pass due so i'm just gonna take it into a repair shop and get them too look at it, hoping it won't cost much.

BTW its the ampeg svt-410HE

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    could be a blown diaphragm in the horn tweeter, or you have the horn (or your treble control) up too high, or it's reproducing a weird sound in your bass.
  3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    That about covers the likely issues aside from a bad crossover (loose connection....).

One other possiblity is any clipping etc, presumably in the preamp. I assume you are not playing at gig levels, so poweramp clipping is not in the picture. Clipping of certain kinds of amps, especially before a treble boost, can really sound odd out of the horn.

You didn't say how old it is, but you might check and see if it might be still warranted. The speaker drivers have a shorter warranty, but if the problem were in the crossover, for instance (quite possble), that, as "electronics" should carry the full 5 year coverage......