1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weird Sound from my Rig last gig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Dec 19, 2011.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am using a Carvin BX1500 with a small pedal board that includes VT Bass, Pitchblack tuner and Boss GEB7 eq. The cab is a fEARful 15/6.

In the third set we heard a loud "beep" sound. We thought it was the PA so I made adjustments. However, a few moments later it happened again. Then became a steady beep. It was very loud and annoying. Especially when we had the dance floor full and people waiting. Ugh. I shut the PA completely off and it still happened. Obviously not the PA! Then I realized it was my rig. I shut it off and then plugged straight into the BX1500, bypassing the pedal board. After that everything was fine. I have been using that pedal board arrangement for quite a few months and have never had this problem before.

I'm just wondering if anyone could shed some light as to what may have cause the noise so I can take steps from it happening again. Loose connection perhaps?

2. domestique

domestique

Sep 5, 2011
    PA
    All power supplys accounted for?

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yup, the three pedals are plugged into one ps. Only the VT was in use when the beep noise was happening.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Still happening now if you plug it in? Can you isolate it to a specific pedal being plugged into the signal chain?

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Sounds like it's isolated to the VT but can't be sure yet. I'd confirm that by taking all the other pedals out of the chain. The power supply could still be a factor too so try a different one.

Another thought....was anybody's phone recieving any incoming calls something when this was happening? Even if ringers are shut off or phone is in sleep mode, they can still mess with other equipment.

6. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Gremlins!

7. Is the power supply parallel or one output chained to all the pedals? The chained ones have all kinds of periodic noises going on.

8. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Strange as it sounds I would play through everything exactly the same the next time you practice. This includes all power supplies, patch cables, power strips, etc. Sometimes worn patch cable have an intermittant problem. See if you can replicate it again. If you can't, I would play the next gig without everything except maybe the VT>BX1500. If it goes good, next set add the graphic. Next set, add the tuner. And if it keeps beeping, turn it into a drinking game.
    +1 on the cell phone as well.

9. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    +1 here. I've had instruments pick up cell phone interference before. Gives an annoying pulsed buzzing sound. Usually happens when the phone is receiving data in some way (text, phone call, or sometimes just signaling out).

10. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    If you're describing the problem accurately, there may be a feature on your tuner that outputs a tone to tune to. In that case, you may have activated it without realizing it. Thus when you disconnected the pedal board, the problem went away.

A power supply would not likely produce a "beep" sound. Hum/buzz/hiss, etc... sure. Cables, how would a cable make a "beep" sound?

The cell phone thing is a remote possibility, but cell interference doesn't really sound like a "beep", so I highly doubt that's it. But I do know I have a different model Korg tuner (much older) and that has a function to output a sine wave at whatever note you choose over like a 7 octave range.

11. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Sounds exactly like a cellphone to me. Whether or not anything was being sent or received, they still connect periodically with the service provider.

12. Ric_thumb60659

Ric_thumb60659

Oct 6, 2011
    So i got a BX1500 about a two three months about and it has been awesome great tone and loud, but today when i was playing when i first turned on the amp the volume faded in and out a bit and stopped after a minute or two but then i realized that when i touch any thing on the graphic EQ it cuts the whole amp out.....even with it switched off! any one know why this would happen or what to do. Did something vibrate loose? or is it carvins error in wiring or what ever? HELP!!

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You should probably start your own thread and not hijack someone elses... just from this post alone, I'm going to say to contact Carvin though and have them service it.

14. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    This is what I will try.

It didn't strike me as a cellphone type tone, but I could be wrong. I will try the VT by itself and see where that leads. I will also double-check all connections. It could possibly be the power supply as its kind of a cheapo unit and not a standard Boss level of quality.

Could it be caused by heat somehow? I am not sure I gave my amp enough clearance between the amp and the wall behind. My cab was warm-ish to the touch where the amp in a rack bag sat on top of it.

15. Ric_thumb60659

Ric_thumb60659

Oct 6, 2011
    sorry didnt mean to hijack this thread. ill learn how to use this some day.

back to topic at hand. Yes i agree with the cell phone interference. my buddys guitar amp had a huge problem with this and picking out radio stations. very annoying but a little funny. my cell phone messes up my parents tv, nothing but beeps and crackling clicks.

if you never had a problem with it before and it only happened once i wouldn't worry to much

16. +1. Whether or not it has an output tone function, the tuner is probably the only thing that could produce a tone as you've described.