Weird string breaks?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Daytona955i, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I broke two strings in exactly a week. Both were my top string (I tune to CGCF). So when I broke the low C the first time, it was a GHS .115 and it broke less than 1/8 of an inch from the nut. Then tonight at practice I broke the low C again and it was a .125 Rotosound. It broke again right below the nut yet again.

The first time I did a bass slide lead in into a song and it broke. The second time I was was playing staccato notes on the first fret and I broke the string.

Is there a possible reason for this? Or did I just run into an inferior string? The first one I had had on my bass since July so it was well used, the second time I had the string for one week, and it was on it's 3rd practice.

Any advice or experience is appreciated.

2. You're right - that IS a weird place for a break. Is your action particularly high? What type of bass? What is your nut material? Fretted or fretless?

The first string I might have tossed off to being well used, but the second breaking in the same weird place says there's something amiss.
  3. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    The action isn't very high, it's a little high, but still comfortable. It's an ESP-LTD B-254, just a plastic nut, and it is fretted.
  4. Is your nut brass? If so, it may have a burr that's causing this breakage...either way...inspect the nut very closely...

otherwise strings just don't usually break there...
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A burr on the nut is the only possible explanation as far as I'm concerned, all other things being equal.
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I agree that it's a nut problem. It just looks like it's below the nut...since the string is under tension when up to pitch, when it breaks the break looks lower than it the string is no longer at tension at that time.
  7. A burr on a plastic nut would have to be substantial to upset a string under tension. And since this is a new problem, it's unlikely that it just appeared out of nowhere.

I'm afraid this is one of those problems that would have to be examined in person very closely to see. You might have to take it to your favorite tech for a once-over.
  8. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Hm. You aren't leaning your bass anywhere that might cause substatial wear on the strings are you? Other than that and a burr, I can't think of anything.