Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

weird string combinations?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by steamboat, Mar 21, 2001.

1. Anyone out there with any stories?

A friend of mine has roundwounds for E A and D, and a flatwound G. One day his G string broke (no G string jokes please :p .. we've heard them all enough :)) and as a quick fix he stuck on a G out of a set of flats that he had taken off of his bass a while ago.

I have no idea why he didn't just put all the flats back on (the rounds he has are pretty dead now anyways).. I guess he can tolerate it well enough so that he isn't motivated to go out and buy new strings. He's had it that way for 2 or 3 months now.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No. Because I want even response and tone across the entire fretboard. Why should I hurt my tone in such a way?!?
    Plus, my bass would probably file for a divorce when I'd neglect her in such a cruel way...:D

3. some double bass players use steel strings on the E and A and gut strings on the D and G presumably to even out the tonal response.

Roscoe Beck sometimes uses pressurewounds on the D and G in the studio.

also Johnny Colt used flats on the E and A and rounds on the D and G on a Tbird on a Black Crowes track:confused:

the first bass I played (P bass belonging to a friend of my brother) had rounds as the E A and D and a flat as the G. dunno why though.

4. If you have a set of flats and the E is just way too dead to match the sound of the other strings, an old trick that works is to replace the E with a dead roundwound.

5. My friend one time decide to do the folk string kinda thing (Like on guitars they have 3 nylon and 3 steel strings), so he had his EA as Roundwounds and his DG as Flats.... It had an... well... interesting tone... and needless to say he didn't keep it that way too long

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    These seem to me to be already similar to what you're talking about. The D and G are ultra-shiny, traditional-looking flats. The E and A look more like half-rounds. These strings address both the "twangy G" and "boomy E" problems. The TI G string is the fattest sounding G I've ever used. The E is considerably brighter, and the A and D are kind of "in-between" as far as sound goes. After they're broken in, they sound very even. Apparently they can keep this even sound for years, although I haven't tried them for more than a few months.