Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weird string height question...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by iceblinko, Feb 28, 2004.

1. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    Hey all. I just got my Fender p bass set up and the way the bridge saddles were raised seems kind of strange. You know how there are two screws for each saddle to raise or lower each string?... well usually when I get set ups, they are the same height. However, the guy who did my set up had each saddle with the screws at different heights (except for the G string). The E and the A had the left screws lower than the right screws and the D had the right screw lower than the left screw. Did the guy do a crap job or is this common? It definately 'feels' different, although I can't place what it is. Any comments? thanks all!...

*tom*

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Somebody else posted a similar thread yesterday. It's personal preference. You can set them flat or in accord with the neck radius. Mine are determined by height sufficient to eliminate string slap. Remember you should set intonation if you jack with them - assuming it's intonated now.

3. There isn't anything to be gained if only the saddle attitude matches the neck radius. In fact, this won't necessarily make the strings follow the contour.

A potential problem is that the string notch gets rotated and that might allow the string to become dislodged towards the lower side of the saddle.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh, neck radius thing is more an approximation. By setting strings as low as they'll go on mine, it's an arch but it's canted to the right (looking from the bridge), since larger gauge strings set higher.